GTG Matte Proof Lincoln #2

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ldhair, Feb 1, 2015.

1. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This is all about what you would grade the coin. I'll be posting 10 different Matte Proofs over the next week or two. They are all in early holders from the following services.
    NGC, PCGS, ANACS and PCI.

I took these to the last Fun Show with two things in mind. I had Todd image them and was going to crack them all and hand them to PCGS for grading. After talking with a few friends at the show, I decided to wait on messing with a change in holder.

Please let me know what you think about the image sizes. I had a hard time deciding what size was best for most. All opinions are welcome. Have fun.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

geekpryde, brg5658 and jello like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. deacon2828

deacon2828 Active Member

Was the first photo you put up bad ? I see this one is different but the spot in field in front of Lincoln's Is their ?

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Yes. It's a different coin.

5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Call this one 64RB.

6. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

7. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

8. robec

robec Junior Member

9. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

10. deacon2828

deacon2828 Active Member

s that spot at 3 k in the coin ?

11. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

PR OMG BN
    That's an incredible piece.

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm at 64 RB as well. The slab has more to say. I'll post an image this evening.

13. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Another nice one - I would want to see it in hand, but the reverse in the photo looks brown. PR65 - is what I would call it.

PS - My swags are just what I think when I see the pictures. I really do not know anything about MPL's.

14. carboni7e

carboni7e aka MonsterCoinz

15. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

16. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Hard to say. It depends on whether what I see as hairlining near E and R on LIBERTY on the obverse and N on ONE on the reverse are there are not. Matte surfaces are really hard to photograph, I bet!

My "hold a gun to me and make me guess" grade is 64 RB, but my real opinion is "nice coin RB" :p

17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This one is in an old PCI green label holder with 10 digit #. I actually sent the coin in back in the day. They were tough on these. Didn't see the cleaned label coming but the more I looked at the color, I started to second guess my opinion. The years have darkened the coin a bit and I fell it would straight grade at 64 RB today.
    Though about trying to cross it or crack it out. Please give me your thoughts.

[​IMG]

18. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

What good is the PCI cleaned slab? It certainly doesn't add to its value. There is no reason not to retry it.

19. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Cleaned, really? Do you think the color was the only factor in their determination or are there hairlines too? I notice nobody said the color looked funny...

20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I always thought the color was the reason but if the grader was using large magnification, hairlines could have been part of it. These images show a few hairlines. I feel some were on the die and others were post mint and others are just the plastic. With this much magnification, I don't know what I'm seeing.
    This is as large as the bucket will let me go.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BadThad likes this.
  21. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I loaded this one to CT just to learn how it will show here. Click on the images.

26.jpg

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted