GTG I Like IKE

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Evan8, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Last coin of 2016
    2016-12-27-21-45-26.jpg
    2016-12-27-21-45-53.jpg
    2016-12-27-21-44-23.jpg
    2016-12-27-21-44-55.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Great color . . . do I see wheel damage on Ike's face, or is that on the plastic?

Evan8 likes this.
  4. Beautiful rainbow toning on the obverse. Very nice coin.
    I miss the full size dollar coins.....

Evan8 likes this.
  5. Evan8

Combination of some spears on the plastic and then it's like the toning smeared across the cheak. No abrasions or hits though.

6. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I grade it... WANT! :)

Seriously, I'm gonna go with 64, just as a shot in the dark, because I can't really make out the luster from your photos.

Evan8 likes this.
  7. ddddd

ddddd Member

MS 65; it likely just missed a STAR

Evan8 likes this.
  8. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

9. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

10. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

PCGS 64 - NGC 65

Evan8, Coinchemistry 2012 and Paul M. like this.
  11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Evan8 likes this.
  12. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

13. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I see hits everywhere, you mean the hits aren't on the coin?

W/ hits my grade is AU-53

W/O my grade is MS-65

Evan8 likes this.
  14. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

MS63. Nice toning.

Evan8 likes this.
  15. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Evan8 likes this.
  16. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It's an Ike, that's normal

Evan8 likes this.
  17. Evan8

No it has some hits. Typical of an ike

18. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I'm going out on a limb here and saying 65+*. NGC is very generous with Ikes and 71d is typically very weakly struck. Don't tell me they 58'd it

Evan8 likes this.
  19. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Then I say AU-53

green18 and Evan8 like this.
  20. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Are all Morgans below 66/67 AU's as well from some hits?

Evan8 likes this.
  21. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Caveat: What I know about grading Ikes fits into a thimble.

It was difficult for me to consider this coin Mint State at first. With other issues, once the number of little hits reaches some subjective tipping point, you then begin assuming it's circulated simply because there's no way for that many hits to accumulate without the coin being out in circulation. There's no_way I'd call a Morgan with this many hits Uncirculated, for instance.

Looking closer, at the spots where one might expect circulation rub to first manifest - not that I know those specific areas on Ikes, but extrapolation from knowing where coins in general show circulation wear isn't inaccurate - I begin believing the coin is Mint State. The edge of the ear and jawline seem like they'd lose their original finish quickly, as does the raised feature forming the top line of the eagle's head and wings. Neither seem to show any dulling. Further, there's a big reeding hit in the tailfeathers which still looks as sharp as the moment it happened, and in circulation I'd expect that to snag any finger or pocket material within reach and begin wearing down quickly.

OK, so it's Mint State. Stepping completely away from "how TPG's grade Ikes," since I just looked at a few and walked away rather bemused (being generous), I couldn't offer this one much more than 64. When contemplating a grade, I have to think that, since Ikes are essentially completely flat, offering very little difference in relief by comparison to a more complex design (again, I'm trying to be generous here :) ), one must sort of grade them "on a curve." There are no high points to deflect random impacts. It's like comparing the surface of the Moon, where there's nothing to stop a meteor, to the surface of the Earth with active geologic and weather patterns wearing and masking impacts quickly.

So, much as I'd like to say 61-62, 64 it is. Wouldn't surprise me if the slab says 65, maybe even with a star. With all of the above said, it's a coin with a ton of eye appeal between the delicate color and no major individual hits (aside the one in the tailfeathers, which is camouflaged to an extent). The second set of images is probably much more like what you'd see holding the coin in-hand at your desk.

I couldn't see myself collecting these below 66 or better.

Evan8 and Paul M. like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted