GTG H-10 1835

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Paddy54, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Let see how good you all are on a specimen that's a little different... most did very well with ddddd double dime.... lets see on a half dime how good you are. :watching: downloadfile-18.jpg downloadfile-16.jpg

ddddd likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Paddy54 likes this.
  4. Paddy54

For the 1835 mintage of 2,760,000 there's 4 different varieties and even more die marriages.
    1835 large date,and 5 C
    1835 Large date and small 5c
    1835 small date and Large 5C
    1835 small date and small 5c

The 1836 has 3 varieties small 5c, Large 5C, and 3/3 inverted
    The 1837 has two small 5c & Large 5C.
    Just think of these little gems as a Bust Halfs little brother :)

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

40 would be the classic grading, but in a slab 45 or wouldn't be surprised if AU50.

Paddy54 likes this.
  6. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

7. ddddd

ddddd Member

My first thought was XF-40
    ..then I wavered and though VF-35...finally I decided to stick with my original 40 since the details look sharper than VF :)

Paddy54 likes this.
  8. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I'm in the EF-40 Camp.

Paddy54 likes this.
  9. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

10. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

LM-10, Small/Small. I think the slab says 40 but I'd likely say 35 in hand, contemplating the griminess and the big hit at UNUM. Not that I'd turn it down. :)

11. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

12. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

13. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

XF40

Paddy54 likes this.
  14. SilverMike

SilverMike Well-Known Member

I'll go XF40 as well. Those half dimes are tiny.

Paddy54 likes this.
  15. Paddy54

The lighting of the images doesn't do justice to the coins original skin....there's some luster and old album toning. An R-1 but an marriage I needed , I had to leave an 1835 large date and large 5C behinde due to lack of funds. :( however I am hopeful it will be around next show to pick up.
    The large/large probably would of been the better choice of the 2 on a rarity scale.
    This is what occurs when you collected enough of these to remember all the varities you already have....gee ya think a note book would be in order? Duh! Will give this until this evening before posting the grade.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    fish4uinmd likes this.
  16. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Very nice original look. I’ll say XF40.

Paddy54 likes this.
  17. Paddy54

I will admit several things about my collection of Cap Bust Half Dimes. First 98% of the ones I find ,and do buy are raw. One reason is availability you can walk a mid size show 30-50 dealers the odds of finding a dealer who has one is slim to none!
    Even seated half dimes are hard to find. Maybe a few common dates...
    Another reason I perfer to buy raw is I home slab them , I can using a p touch list the variety, LM numbers, obv/ rev. Marriage. I'm not concerned about counterfeit specimens.....
    As to the one in question above it in a PCGS slab at VF/35
    Some of you nailed it , however I personally would call it an xf 40 . Yes eagle eye Dave the small hit on the scroll....
    What you can't see and I can is the old album tones especially on the rev. Somewhat on the obv. That appears to look mute in my images. And that there's plenty of details on both sides of the coin.
    Another reason I like buying raw....these are small so one must look carefully at details , and for damage if present.
    I would advise those putting together a 7070 set if you find a nice specimen buy it.
    As these are getting harder and harder to find...dealer friends tell me most come from estates sales ...or buying a large collection from a collector who is no longer collecting.

Pickin and Grinin and SilverMike like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted