GTG ANACS Woody

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, Aug 9, 2014.

1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Anyone want to guess the grade? It is in an ANACS yellow slab. Remember it is a woody.

1920- WG ANACS O.JPG 1920- WG ANACS R.JPG

John Anthony likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

4. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

65bn would be my swag - but with a yellow ANACS holder it could be anything. :)

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Nobody interested?

I will post an answer tomorrow.

6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

GTG threads don't interest me, but I like woodies, and that one's a beauty. Nice find!

7. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

64 Nice coin.
    Edit to add. I would call it a 65.

9. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Nice luster (not great, but nice) and nearly mark free. IMO, this is a 65. OK, it is a woody, so they should call it a 64 - right? Nope, they only called it a 63? I don't get it.

1920- WG63 ANACS S.JPG

10. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

I don't get it either. I would call the coin a 65, but I said 64 since it's a woody. 63 makes no sense.

11. aubade21

aubade21 Well-Known Member

I'd have gone 64 on that. Despite being a bit undergraded, it's a nice woody.

12. quarter-back

quarter-back Active Member

I'm curious. Several people mentioned a lower grade due this coin being a "woody". I was under the impression that the MS grades were supposed to be relative to the condition of the coin relative to when it originally was struck, with mint state indicating no wear and the specific grade reflecting the amount of post strike damage from normal handling of uncirculated coins (bagmarks, etc). The coin in question appears to me to be pretty close to a mid- to high MS coin. If this were a solid brown coin, would it get a higher grade? If so, why? They both are caused by oxidation. To me this is not much different than a poorly struck coin getting a relatively high grade despite retained planchet marks.

13. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

And, perhaps most importantly, appearance. I happen to like coins like this, but the "experts" deduct for color variation.
    Yes as explained above.
    No, they are not both CAUSED by oxidation. Although the oxidation may make the alloy show differences, the root cause is a poor alloy mix. The lighter areas are higher in tin than the brown areas. You will notice this coin was graded BROWN despite most of it being mostly yellow. Although this one I would guess should have been RB, it got the brown because the yellow is actually oxidized.

14. quarter-back

quarter-back Active Member

You're right, I spoke imprecisely. I should have said that both color variations arise due to oxidation of the coin. The wood grain doesn't show up until the coin is oxidized.

15. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Classic TPG woody bias. MS-64

16. benne911

benne911 Active Member

If these variations are popular why would TPG put them down? Just to act like they know more and annoy people?

17. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I don't think to act like they know more. Just some people like woodies and some do not. I think the problem is that the tpg's are inconsistent on how they treat woodies and that does annoy people. :)

18. benne911

benne911 Active Member

Do woodies command a premium? Or is it a preference? I think I have a nice one in an old mint packaging somewhere

19. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Mostly they sell below going rates, but I am sure some would command a small premium

Draft saved Draft deleted