GTG 38D Buffalo

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Pickin and Grinin, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

As one said to me previously that they are also called Indian heads, I have found evidence that they were correct. Anyways this is a GTG and Variety,
    One of my favorite picks yet. IMG_3248.JPG IMG_3249.JPG

ActionJack, dog_pound, Smojo and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I believe the redbook says INDIAN HEAD OR BUFFALO. I like buffalo. Indian head is a cent lol.

Pretty coin. MS-66. Looks like an RPM?

4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

65 / omm-001

Evan8 and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  5. Paddy54

The correct term and always has been in the 50 + years I've collected is "Buffalo"
    Indian head as you stated are cents not nickels.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  6. Pickin and Grinin

That was always the way I have known also, and concur with Buffalo.

Evan8 and Paddy54 like this.
  7. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I'd say 66.

The difference between Indian Head Nickel and Buffalo Nickel is sort of like the difference between Liberty Head Nickel and V Nickel.
    I prefer Buffalo and V, but some guides and even some albums (in the case of V nickels, the Library of Coins version says "Liberty Head"), the unpopular nomenclature is used.

For me, saying Indian Head immediately conjures up images of the cent, while saying Liberty Head makes me think of gold coins.

Paddy54 and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  8. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

It's Buffalo Nickel to me and it's a gorgeous one!! I'm at an easy 66 with it being the D/S FS-511 or OMM-001.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  9. Evan8

Ah OMM. I saw something going on with the D and figured RPM. Silly me

10. Paddy54

Yeppers .... when a person sez Liberty nickel I'm like say again? V nickel is what I've always called them.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  11. Paddy54

You know in the late 50's and early 60's the buffalo nickel was very much in Vogue!
    It's about time that a true CLASSIC icon of American history is back on top of the pack!
    Or Herd! I should say.... I say Black Diamond Lives! In the hearts of many a numismatic collectors .

ActionJack likes this.
  12. Pickin and Grinin

I do think terminology is important, Go and do some research instead of being coddled by the masses,
    Any ways I think there are many other photographers here that could catch this Buffalo in it's beauty, than I have.

Paddy54 likes this.
  13. Evan8

Funny, I developed the habit of calling them liberty head nickels. I never liked the term V nickel. And in all honesty it is one of my least favorite US coins. Something about Barber designs I just really dislike. My only Barber coins will be for my type set or if I can find them as contemporary counterfeits lol.

14. Pickin and Grinin

With all opinions in mind, this is a GTG, and variety. I do wish to hear your opinions on terminology.

15. Evan8

Oops sorry. Getting off topic.

16. Pickin and Grinin

Nope, right on topic.

17. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

18. Paddy54

These buffalo's are so hard to call at times on a grading basis. As I've seen coins with full strikes and a little lack luster and go a much lower grade than expected . Yet also have seen a weaker strike lacking some details ie, hair , and horn and yet have the luster and grade at a higher grade.
    The more I look at this one I'm thinking at least a point higher than I gave it so ms 66.

19. buffnixx

buffnixx Active Member

Here is a 1938d buff pcgs ms67+ toned monster on flea bay right now.
    Makes your mouth water but asking price is over $1100 skins. Still might
    be worth it. Undistinguishable from the MS68 slabbed buffs IMO. s-l1600.lfkgh.jpg s-l1600.098gfh.jpg

20. buffnixx

buffnixx Active Member

I would give the OPs posted buff at top an ms66+

21. buffnixx

buffnixx Active Member

Maybe even an ms67!

Draft saved Draft deleted