GTG 1952 Franklin Half Dollar PCGS

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Jul 23, 2019.

?

Guess the Assigned Grade

1. MS66

2. MS66 FBL

3. MS66+

4. MS66+ FBL

5. MS67

6. MS67 FBL

7. MS67+

8. MS67+ FBL

9. MS68 or MS68 FBL

10. Other (Please Explain in Comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Please guess the assigned grade of this PCGS Franklin Half Dollar and vote in the attached poll. Thank you!

[​IMG]

As always, comments welcome!

CircCam likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I hate going first. And I'm not great with these, but I said 67 not FBL. Coin appears really clean. And the color seems attractive. Nice coin.

4. Joe Campbell

Joe Campbell Well-Known Member

I’m saying 67+, I don’t know how to tell FBL so I’m abstaining from that portion. Overall an outstanding piece.

5. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

6. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Newer PCGS holder not FBL maybe 67
    Nice coin.

7. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

8. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

Agree with the MS-66+ FBL camp.

9. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

I voted 67, love the looks of that one, especially the reverse.

10. ddddd

ddddd Member

67 FBL

...this looks much cleaner than some of the prior ones you’ve posted. The color is also very nice. I’m not 100% sold on the bell lines, but I think PCGS gave the fbl designation here (at worse it is at least close to fbl)

11. CircCam

CircCam Victory

I’ll guess MS67+. Not sure on the bell lines but that’s a stellar coin either way.

12. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Ms 67. Not quite FBL, but close. Absolutely beautiful toning. They should have given it the *.

13. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

BY THE IMAGES, and given PCGS grading standards over the last 5 years, it's on the borderline between MS67FBL and MS67+FBL. Given the chatter between the two lower sets of bell lines to the left of the crack I'll go MS67FBL.

The nick on Ben's upper cheekbones about 8 o'clock to his eye could also be a factor depending on what it looks like in another light angle, e.g. it's pretty washed out here, and small nicks near the eye won't affect a 67 technical grade, but if that's a larger nick in a different lighting angle that could pull down the grade a fair amount.

Paul M. likes this.
  14. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

By PCGS Standards, absolutely FBL (I'd need to see better pictures to determine if the top set of lines are full, and thus meet NGC and my standards for FBL).

Grade is tricky.... I'm leaning towards there being hidden contact marks in this picture and thus it's 66 or 66+ FBL. My immediate reaction from the pics is 67FBL.... in short, I really don't know on this one.

If you guys have the coin in hand, can you try taking less overlit pictures? I'm not saying these pics are dishonest... more like, they are overlit and taken to highlight certain positive aspects of the coin.

15. Patrick King

Patrick King Well-Known Member

I voted MS68 FBL Initially, but because none have been graded at PCGS I think this coin is an MS67+ FBL

16. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

The color is almost spectacular, The obverse is close to terminal on the perimeter.
    Still a beautiful coin. MS66+

17. Lehigh96

This coin is tremendous and the luster is indescribably strong. The reverse of this coin is one of the best sides I have ever seen on a coin. My photos really don't do the coin justice and neither do Heritage's. You really need to see this coin in hand to appreciate it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Personally, I think the coin is solid for the grade and might very well deserve a plus grade. For liquidity, I would like to send the coin to CAC. Does anyone here have CAC submission privileges?

18. ddddd

ddddd Member

19. Lehigh96

20. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I'll agree with you there, that reverse is stunning. The colors come through clearer on your pictures - and I can see now that it is not hiding anything. I agree with the 67 grade based on these new pics. Fantastic coin!

21. ddddd

ddddd Member

Makes one wonder why your example hasn’t been upgraded. It previously sold in the same holder a year ago. I wonder if anyone tried? It also looks like you got a better deal (compared to the Legend coin and compared to the prior sale on HA).

Draft saved Draft deleted