GTG 1943-S Jefferson Nickel NGC

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Oct 2, 2019.

?

Guess the Assigned Grade?

1. MS66

2. MS66 5FS

3. MS66+

4. MS66+ 5FS

5. MS67

6. MS67 5FS

7. MS67+

8. MS67+ 5FS

9. Other (Please explain in comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Please guess the grade of the 1943-S Jefferson Nickel shown below by voting in the attached poll. Please make your grade determination and cast your vote before scrolling down to read the responses to the thread.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As always, comments welcome.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The TPGs and I disagree on grading Jeffersons. We've talked about this before. I'd call this a 65+, but based on the luster, I'm guessing it got a 66+. The steps are unusually strong, but I think there is enough bridging that I would not call it FS from your pictures.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The last time I gave it a shot and voted on one of your nickels, I was so far off that I had to go through customs to get home. However, I think I see some flaws on the left side of the steps, so I don't think it will make 5FS. Anyway, I gave it a 66.

Chris

BuffaloHunter likes this.
  5. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

6. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I said 67 No Steps

7. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

66 and incomplete steps

8. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I voted Awesome because it is and I don't subscribe to the MS grading system.

9. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Ms-65 close on the steps but no cigar... nice coin luster,and strike

10. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

I think 5FS is easy, but the decision between 66 and 67 is really tough. So I took 66. Hope I am low.

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not a FS by any stretch of the imagination but the eye appeal is fantastic.

12. ddddd

ddddd Member

66+ (I'm voting the same for both nickels apparently)....I believe the strong luster pushed it up a bit....the steps look to have enough breaks to prevent even 5fs

13. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I like this one at 66, but I voted 66+ due to the luster and clean fields. Not FS

14. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

15. Lehigh96

Ok, so this coin is a trick. The grade is MS67 but it resides in an NGC Old Fatty holder which predates the 5FS designation.

[​IMG]

So the question is do I send it into NGC for designation review? Based on the poll, there were 20 total responses that shook out as follows:

No 5FS: 13
    Yes 5FS: 7

The average 1943-S MS67 runs about $50, but an MS67 5FS jumps to about $300. To me this is more than enough justification to spend the $12 for the designation review in my next submission. As for it's chances, I'm not optimistic because of the small inclusion between the 3rd and 4th step between the first two pillars. The weakness of the 4th step under the 3rd pillar is evident but IMO doesn't constitute a break in the steps. Under a loupe, the steps look full, it was only when I looked at the photo that I saw the small inclusion. The problem is that I am asking them specifically to look at the steps, so they probably won't miss it. If I send it to PCGS, it would certainly get the FS designation, but would have very little chance at MS67.

RonSanderson likes this.
  16. TypeCoin971793

Comparing this to your 67+ from the 1938 D buffalo thread, this coin is far worse than a half-point difference between grades.

17. TypeCoin971793

Only a “half-point” better...

B256CC8B-3A26-41E4-B217-FA3D6118EBAA.jpeg

18. Lehigh96

I’m not sure what you are trying to say but you really can’t compare a Buffalo to a Jefferson, especially a war Nickel.

19. TypeCoin971793

I’m comparing this MS-67 war nickel to the MS-67+ war nickel I posted above. Definitely a valid comparison

20. Lehigh96

I agree, the 1944-D should be graded MS68*.

The coin in this thread is clean enough and lustrous enough to warrant the MS67 grade. The problem is that it looks very generic when compared to a coin with exceptional eye appeal. Weren’t you the one who said eye appeal shouldn’t be part of the grading process.

21. TypeCoin971793

The 67+ is very objectively cleaner than the 67. I’m not referring to eye appeal, so don’t assume that I am.

I said 66, along with the majority in the poll.

Draft saved Draft deleted