GTG - 1942-P US Penny Proof

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by iPen, Jul 5, 2016.

1. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

As a silver coin collector, I'm not really in the market to buy non-silver coins. However, I am a WWII buff and I found the 3 pennies from 3 consecutive years from 1942 to 1944, with 3 different compositions intriguing enough to bite the bullet (1942-P Proof Cu-Zn-Sn cent, last proof penny until 1946; 1943-P Zn-coated steel cent; 1944-P Cu-Zn "cartridge case" cent made out of spent cartridge cases from WWII). This 1942 proof penny below came in the mail today, and it completes my very modest US penny collection.

Anyway, what do you all think about this coin's grade? The vertical lines on the coin appear to be die scratches, as it appears to be a very small relief when viewed under a 30x loupe. I took an angled photo to show how the relief height is very short on those vertical lines and are consequently not scratches on the coin, and to show how it actually looks in-person (those vertical relief lines disappear altogether). And sorry for the poor pics - proofs are much harder to photograph, at least for me.

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Pf 66 pretty penny :)

MKent likes this.
  4. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

PF65 in my opinion

5. Coinlover67

Coinlover67 Well-Known Member

Proof 65 too.

6. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

I'm in the 64 camp - is there something amiss at the bottom of the reverse?

7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I'd go 64. Wish it was a 66 -- you could have a four-figure coin.

8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted