GTG 1940-D Jefferson Nickel NGC

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Aug 5, 2019.

?

Guess the Assigned Grade

1. MS65

2. MS65 5FS

3. MS65 6FS

4. MS66

5. MS66 5FS

6. MS66 6FS

7. MS67

8. MS67 5FS

9. MS67 6FS

10. Other (Please Explain in Comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Please guess the grade of this NGC graded 1940-D Jefferson Nickel by voting in the attached poll. Please make your grade determination and cast your vote before scrolling down to read the responses to the thread.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As always, comments welcome!

PS. the white streaky things are slab scuffs, they are not on the surface of the coin.

kSigSteve likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Apparently, its a slow day on Cointalk.

4. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Nice coin.

Strike - a bit weak at the top of head and columns of Monticello. Sharpness of steps definitely make up for it. 66

Luster - you are known for having an eye for booming luster and this one is on par with that. 67

Eye Appeal - very attractive coin and one I would love to reside in my collection. 67

Contact Marks - very minimal and most could even be planchet flaws. There are some tiny black specs on the cheek and field in front which I am sure are not distracting in hand. 67

I don’t think the small tick under column 2 is enough to break the line so I went 67 6FS.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  5. ddddd

ddddd Member

66 6FS

All the steps appear to be there and the coin looks to be relatively clean/mark free and lustrous. Overall it’s an appealing coin and 67 wouldn’t surprise me either (a few hits on the cheek and in the hair made me lower it a point).

6. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

MS66 no FS as it’s NGC (they actually look at the steps, contrary to other TPGs :)

Not a 67 due to strike weakness. Eye appeal is good, but I am missing some colors.

7. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

I voted MS66 5FS, nice looking coin.

8. Joe Campbell

Joe Campbell Well-Known Member

I went 67 6FS though there is a contact mark through steps 4-6 that maybe took the steps assignment away, which would suck because it’s such a strong strike and all 6 steps are so clearly defined.

Nice coin.

eddiespin likes this.
  9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

MS67 and full of the steps. The dies are a little used, but grade-insignificant.

10. Lehigh96

[​IMG]

The fact that NGC graded this coin 5FS as opposed to 6FS is astonishing. Yes, there is a tiny bit of weakness on the 6th step under the 2nd pillar, but calling this coin anything but 6FS is extremely punitive IMO.

Razz likes this.
  11. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

Surprised with any full step designation.

12. Lehigh96

What are you talking about? There isn’t a single bridge or break anywhere on the steps of this Nickel.

kSigSteve likes this.
  13. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

There appears to be breaks in the steps (minor I know). Especially the bottom step.

micbraun likes this.
  14. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

They don’t always get it right. Did you send this one in yourself? You could shave with those steps.

A815FC42-989A-4C76-98B7-69269D3B3B9D.jpeg 0F1F930E-478D-4F77-AA22-081FF93DC96E.jpeg

:woot:

TypeCoin971793 and eddiespin like this.
  15. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

The top pic yes. That doesn't match the poster's though.

16. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

It was a joke. That’s a picture of a razor.

The point being the two are so very similar. The coin is 6FS.

Lehigh96 likes this.
  17. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

Okay. I guess fs doesn't have to look clean to get the designation. Never had any graded myself so.

18. Lehigh96

No, and I was actually pleasantly surprised to see that the 5FS coin I bought actually had 6FS.

19. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I see a couple of hits, above the T and the I of Monticello. They appear to be on the last step, that’s why I think NGC got it right.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  20. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I think the coin got shafted by NGC. As someone already said, those steps are so sharp, one could shave with them. It definitely should have been 67 6FS. The coin is a beautiful registry quality specimen, with nice color, and clean surfaces.

21. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

That is why I gave it the 5FS as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted