GTG 1938 Jefferson Nickel #1

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Nov 11, 2019.

?

Guess the assigned grade

1. AU58

2. MS64

3. MS64*

4. MS65

5. MS65*

6. MS66

7. MS66*

8. MS67

9. MS67*

10. Other (please explain in comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Please guess the grade of the 1938 Jefferson Nickel shown below by voting in the attached poll. Please make your grade determination and cast your vote before scrolling down to read the responses to the thread.

[​IMG]

As always, comments welcome!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

64+ . Dang. I hate to go first, even if I didn't scroll down...and then realized no one else had voted nor posted. Too many hits for 65 but a very nice coin so I just slipped my guess under 65.

Steve

eddiespin likes this.
  4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

65 not full step , a few small carbon spots .

5. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

I know stars have eluded you although you have a taste for exceptional eye appeal.

This one seems to have kind of a muted luster due to the toning but is relatively clean. I think they bumped it to 65 for the color and it prolly falls short of their standard for a star.

6. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

7. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

All your nickels are great! I think you need to post closer more detailed pictures. I click on your pictures but they only enlarge slightly. Your coins are so good we need to see closer more minute details.

Lehigh96 likes this.
  8. Lehigh96

I keep the photos at 1000 x 500 px purposefully. Although it makes evaluating full steps harder, larger images would make minuscule marks seem huge and cause people to undergrade the coins.

furham and Islander80-83 like this.
  9. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Yes, I guess you're right.

10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It's a little mushy for anything higher. (For me.)

11. ddddd

ddddd Member

I voted MS 66 ...there are some scattered hits but it looks clean overall. It’s an attractive coin, but it doesn’t have enough to get the star in my opinion (and based on seeing how few Nickels have received stars, I would guess it would take something more colorful).

Lehigh96 likes this.
  12. Lehigh96

I'm really at the point where I think the graders just forget that the star designation exists.

13. ddddd

ddddd Member

It does seem so at times. Other times, I’m puzzled what they saw to give a star. I would add that I’d personally like to see the overall threshold for a star to be more strict (for example, no small crescents on Morgans).

14. Lehigh96

I agree that small crescents on Morgans don't deserve stars but I think that coins with light pastel rainbow toning and outstanding luster should be rewarded, and they never are.

15. ddddd

ddddd Member

I’m not a huge proponent of light pastels getting the star either, but they are more deserving than some that make it.

16. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Technically, this is no gem. At least, in my eyes. Nonetheless, I can't, no-way, no-wise, no-how, see this handsome boy at under MS65 money. I'll say it got MS66.

17. Lehigh96

So you think it is an MS64 but graded MS66? Are you saying they gave it a toning bump? or two?

I have a bunch of other guess the grade threads active right now, feel free to participate and don't forget to vote. Thanks.

18. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Good question. I think without the toning it's a market 65.

19. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

I gave it 64*, very nice looking but too many hits and weakly struck. I have a '38D that looks a lot like this one, albeit with a bit darker colors.

20. Lehigh96

I was expecting (hoping) for MS65* for this coin, their grade is just confounding. Maybe @Ana Silverbell can explain the grade.

[​IMG]

Stevearino and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  21. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Huh. I woulda guessed 65

Draft saved Draft deleted