GTG 1937-S NGC Buffalo Nickel

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Jul 18, 2019.

?

Guess the Assigned Grade of this 1937-S Buffalo Nickel

1. MS63

2. MS63*

3. MS64

4. MS64*

5. MS65

6. MS65*

7. MS66

8. MS66*

9. MS67

10. Other (Please Explain in Comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Please guess the grade of the 1937-S Buffalo Nickel shown below by voting in the attached poll. This is my brother's NEWP for his Buffalo Nickel short set.

[​IMG]

As always, comments welcome!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

MS 66. Great details, sharp fields, decent strike, beautiful toning. A solid Gem. Could be 66+ just as easily.

Santinidollar likes this.
  4. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

+1

5. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

I am at MS64.

6. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

+2 66 nice coin.

7. Joe Campbell

Joe Campbell Well-Known Member

I’m guessing it didn’t fare well at the graders. MS-63* but i’m Basically an untrained chimp.

8. Lehigh96

I’m curious, what is it about the coin that you think holds it back to an MS63? Don’t worry about your experience, just tell us what you think.

9. Joe Campbell

May be some wear in the buffalo shoulder and the high points on the hair. I am terrible about discerning wear from strike details and quality though. My appeal and assessment are often different than TPG’s. It’s a great looking nickel. Would gladly have it in the collection.

10. ddddd

ddddd Member

MS 65; a few too many ticks and small hits to go higher and no star based on the black (carbon?) spots scattered on the obverse (plus Buffalo nickels seem to be more scarce with stars; the ones I've seen tended to have more rainbow colors).

11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

If you think there is wear, you need to guess an AU grade (58) or lower. By definition, MS grades have no wear.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  12. Joe Campbell

Ok, AU-63*. :).

EyeAppealingCoins likes this.
  13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'm at '64 on this piece.
    Paul wrote the book on this system a few years back. Actually, it wasn't a book, but an convincing thread regarding such assessment back a few years ago.

14. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Strike: Not great, not terrible. 64 - 66 range.

Luster: Pretty good in these images, but it shows signs of weakness. It is not full and blazing throughout. 64-65 range.

Eye Appeal: Quite attractive, with some exceptions. The reverse toning is quite nice. The obverse toning isn't anything to write home about, but it has a pleasant color (unusual on nickel). The eye appeal killer here are the many flyspecks (hair, feather, cheek, under the nose, obverse field, and buffalo's rump). My eye was drawn to them immediately, and I consider them a negative. 65-ish range.

Contact marks..... prolific. Tiny tickmarks cover the coin, in focal and non-focal areas. There aren't any big marks, but there are a lot of tiny marks. There don't appear to be as many marks in the obverse fields, which is good, but there are quite a few on the reverse under the bull. Way too many marks for a high grade. 64, tops.

All this is pointing to a 64 coin, in my opinion. This is an extremely common coin in this grade, so either he really, really liked the way it looked, or it looks significantly better in hand, or its overgraded. If I was building a set, I'd go for a 66 of this date, at the least (still an extremely common coin).

I noticed you listed "star" as an option on this poll.... this coin is absolutely not worthy of a star, and should not have received one. That doesn't mean it didn't, of course, but it shouldn't have.

15. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

There are actually four spots but the one on the feather is masked more by the toning. Anyway, I'm here to say I agree. And the TPG can give it whatever grade it wants, but there's no question, the eye-movement through it is disrupted pretty big time. And it affects the way we feel about it. And that's just Art Appreciation 101. It's MS64 for my money, although five will get you a dime the TPG sees it higher.

16. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

MS65

(I put MS64* instead of MS65 on accident in the poll lol. Sorry)

17. EyeAppealingCoins

EyeAppealingCoins Well-Known Member

It looks like a 64 that I see netgraded to 63 for the spots. The tics hold it back from gem in my book.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  18. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I see the marks but I bet the luster stronger in hand and the color nice. I’m guessing it got an eye appeal bump to 66 from being a technical 65

Morgandude11 likes this.
  19. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I have a hard time seeing this as a Gem coin.
    I went 64* for the toning, even with the focal carbon spot.

20. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

21. Lehigh96

I really thought that the overall toning and eye appeal of the coin in combination with gem luster would be enough to overcome the carbon spots, but I guess I was wrong.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted