GTG 1936-S Buffalo Nickel

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Jan 8, 2019.

?

Guess the assigned grade!

1. MS64

2. MS64+

3. MS65

4. MS65+

5. MS66

6. MS66+

7. MS67

8. MS67+

9. MS68

10. Other (Please explain in comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Please guess the grade of the 1936-S Buffalo Nickel shown below by voting in the attached poll. This is my brother's NEWP for his Buffalo Nickel short set.

[​IMG]

As always, comments welcome!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

MS 65+ Nice Looking Buffalo!

4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I guessed 65, but I'll be honest - I find Buffalos one of the hardest series to grade consistently and accurately. And the TPGs struggle almost as much as I do. You could convince me this coin was anywhere from 63 to 65+.

5. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

+1.

6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I'm at 65+ nice coin I personally don't see a 66 or higher but 66 would not surprised me.

7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Although I think this coin should have stayed at a 65, It has a decent strike and luster, along with minimal marks on the high points.
    My guess is 66.

8. ddddd

ddddd Member

+2 ...although I'll expand it to anywhere in the 63 to 67 range.
    I'm going with 66 based on luster and clean fields.

9. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

I went MS65 thinking it must be at least, I also find it difficult to grade anything struck from a nickel planchet, most specifically Buffalos,,,

10. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

Nice looking coin!

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nice looking well struck lustered coin.

12. Paddy54

Dave buffalos are a tough series to grade no doupt.
    And will agree from Shield to Jeffs nickels in general can be difficult to grade as from 1866 to date the 5 cent piece has changed many times ,and I'm not referring to each of the series but within the series them selves.
    My Jeffersons collection halted when the powers being took an award winning design changed it....yet again. Tom's full face from profile view...he looks like a cartoon!
    The new designs of Jeffersons do no justice to the 5 cent piece.
    I find it very disturbing in this day and age that our coinage looks tired.
    I find it disturbing that 3 iconic designs re struck in gold are at best a poor copy.
    America had at one time some of the best design for its money!
    The art deco age produced beautiful coins. One would think with the technology of this peroid in history,with all the improvements and advancements of computers that someone could step up and design a coin that would over whelm the designs of past.
    It reminds me of cartoons of our childhood and those today... there's no comparison ....again one would think in the year 2019 we be light years ahead ,not going back to cave man drawings.

13. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

MS 65
    I like the sharp detail and the clear fields. It looks like great luster, too.

OK, maybe 66.

14. RonSanderson

Paddy, your comments need a picture.

05c 2009-P obverse 04.JPG

Paddy54 likes this.
  15. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

This is why we should be thankful. The low relief of todays demands will never compare again to coins like like Lehighs brother's Buff.
    Which is Perty by the way.

Paddy54 likes this.
  16. Paddy54

My apologies to the op didn't mean to hijack the thread.... just a passion rush I guess.

17. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I'm at a 65 on this one. I don't see booming luster and I see a few contact marks on the obverse and reverse that would keep it from a 66. Of course I have been known to be wrong before. LOL

Paddy54 likes this.
  18. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

I'm at a 65+ on this one. Fairly well struck and a very nice piece to add to anyone's collection.

19. RonSanderson

For my part, I like a display of passion. Isn’t that the very core of what brings us together on this site?

LA_Geezer likes this.
  20. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I see a 66...I have 66s with more hits than this one...luster is good, along with eye appeal.

21. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

My brother is building an NGC Registry short set of Buffalo Nickels and he liked this ANACS coin so he purchased it with the intention of crossing it to NGC. I was skeptical based on the Heritage photos, but after seeing it in hand, think it should definitely cross at the MS66 grade. We shall see!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted