GTG - 1921 Buffalo 5c

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by CircCam, Mar 18, 2023.

1. CircCam

CircCam Victory

10222DDB-00E5-44E0-AE60-CDA49C61F6C0.jpeg 2C6BDBDF-5A93-4007-BC9E-158E84595EF6.jpeg 71EB8EB3-E1AC-4C13-BC27-46CB860FB5B8.jpeg 7E695001-85A7-4EA8-9631-A9165EA1B9E1.jpeg 460BA910-303F-445E-AB32-58A815ADC71B.jpeg F7F339A0-803C-4662-BA2E-4C2E74E4FB81.jpeg C864489C-8A30-4946-8CAB-8575D232C8A7.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

This is going to be a guess for sure...I think, think it is probably uncirculated...a few minor scratches and marks...gorgeous toning...
    going with MS64.

CircCam likes this.
  4. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd

Fantastic colors! Fairly well struck. 64+ in today’s market.

CircCam and SensibleSal66 like this.
  5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

63 pretty coin ddo 001

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
    CircCam likes this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

AU'ish in nature....'58

CircCam likes this.
  7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Where's the wear?

I see some places that toned differently, but I don't see anything that looks like it would represent a luster break. (Not that I have much luck evaluating luster from static photos...)

CircCam likes this.
  8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

CircCam likes this.
  9. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I'm in the middle with a MS-64 guess. ;):happy:
    Beautiful coin! Nice toning.

CircCam likes this.
  10. ddddd

ddddd Member

A beauty! :D

CircCam likes this.
  11. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Wow, nice IHB. MS-65

CircCam and SensibleSal66 like this.
  12. lardan

lardan Supporter! Supporter

MS 64. Whatever it is nice coin.

CircCam likes this.
  13. Sunflower_Coins

Sunflower_Coins Importer and Exporter

MS62. Beautiful coin, it just has a certain softness to the luster that the grading companies don't seem to like.

Thankfully not in an NGC holder, or I don't think it would straight grade (as I recently learned with my last buffalo nickel submission...)

Paddy54 and CircCam like this.
  14. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Gorgeous Buffalo, I am leaning towards AU. The cheek and other high points show some directional contact. It is light, bit there. There is also evidence of wear on the horn and a slight bit on the ear tuft, among other light areas on the rev.
    AU58

CircCam likes this.
  15. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

A gorgeous coin. Grade is less important than the beautiful color, which makes the coin extremely desirable. It has worn die look, as I think it was moderately struck by deteriorating dies. The coin is MS as I see it. I will call it 63.

CircCam likes this.
  16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Grading is subjective and grading from pictures can be even more subjective. When I looked at OP's shots last night, I perceived (what looked like to me) a slight rub on the shoulder and horn of the Bison. It could have been the scotch (what I call grading juice) but my perception of such is still apparent (to me) this morning. Depending on what the grader had for dinner last nite, the coin could either be '63 or '58 in my humble opinion. No disrespect for OP's coin.....I think it's lovely. :)

17. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Thanks for playing, all… (and thanks @Paddy54 for the DDO catch!)

I find Buffalo nickels very challenging to grade between the design, strike variance, die state…. add thick multicolor toning to the above with relatively mark free surfaces and I have to imagine it would be a head scratcher in the grading room. How they came to this consensus of all numerical grades though, I’m not sure.

F93B3DDD-BAC0-47A6-BA03-9C5DE0E6FCC0.jpeg

18. CircCam

CircCam Victory

I don’t see anything that would keep it from grading at either service…some funky color but all signs point to long term storage in an album as far as I can tell.

ddddd likes this.
  19. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Wow, that is a shock. That is one gorgeous IHB. I have to go back to the drawing board on this one @CircCam.

20. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I would have never guessed that low.
    what a beauty for a great price.
    Did you have to pay a premium for the color?

21. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

TPG seem to be prejudicial about the Buffalo nickel. I think the obverse is definitely MS quality, and the reverse is more about a weak strike, not wear, IMHO.

Draft saved Draft deleted