GTG 1915 Lincoln

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Evan8, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Are we tired of Lincolns yet?

I always went back and forth on this one, whether or not it was a matte proof. The rims arent quite what they should be, however the obverse does have a couple of the same markers as the matte proof. As your hint, it is not a matte proof.
    2017-08-07-10-12-09.jpg
    2017-08-07-10-13-10.jpg
    2017-08-07-10-14-06.jpg
    2017-08-07-10-15-00.jpg

Paddy54, gronnh20 and Michael K like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan8

eddiespin likes this.
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Evan8 likes this.
  5. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

6. brokecoinguy

brokecoinguy I like what I can't afford

I'll go 65

Evan8 likes this.
  7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Whoa, nice. The trouble with these when they aren't heavily toned though is the light cuts and scrapes aren't "masked." Still, I think this should MS66.

Evan8 likes this.
  8. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

MS65. Nice coin.

Evan8 likes this.
  9. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

MS65 BN

I would love to come in too low.

Evan8 likes this.
  10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

11. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

This is a very nice looking Lincoln!

Strike: MS-67 this thing was hammered with fresh dies. It has an MPL look with the sharply defined details both obverse and reverse

Luster: MS-66 very nice luster, it looks like the luster would dance in hand.

Eye Appeal: MS-66 I love the color on this, it's a nice dark chocolate with mint green undertonings.

Condition: MS-66 Obverse, just a little chatter in the fields in front of Lincoln with only 1 contact mark that stands out. MS-64 Reverse, the reverse has a few more contact marks than the obverse, enough so that I would rate it as a high 64.

Overall I would grade this as a 65+BN - 66BN, but knowing NGC they probably slabbed it as a 64BN.

Evan8 likes this.
  12. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

65 + and wouldn't be surprised if a 66 pretty Lincoln again I'm not a cent collector.

Evan8 likes this.
  13. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

There appears to be some discoloration above the ear which looks like wear. However, I am not sure if this is the first spot to wear on this series.

If it is wear, I can see a market-graded MS-63 BN. :yack::vomit::hungover:

If not, I can see MS-64 BN due to the heavy contact marks on the reverse.

Evan8 likes this.
  14. Evan8

Good observation on the "wear spot"
    It isnt wear though. Have a look at this 1915 MPL courtesy coin facts:
    25643677_48355399_2200.jpg
    Note the same "wear spot" above the ear. This coin graded PF-67. It isnt a wear spot. Remember that the master hubs were re-done in 1915 giving Lincoln more details. This spot seems to be on a lot of proof and MS 1915 Lincolns.

Paddy54 and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  15. Evan8

I will reveal in the next few hours.
    Or maybe I will hold the answer ransom until Ed Wood takes his guess then I will reveal lol

ddddd and Mad Stax like this.
  16. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

Dear Kentucky,
    I am responding on Eds behalf as I have been hired as an assistant for his fabulous new grading service. Unfortunately for you all, but fortunately for him, he is currently on vacation in beautiful Monte Carlo, sipping daquiris and acquiring wealthy new investors. He is due to return from his business venture shortly after the grade is revealed. Though, I can personally guarantee that his grade will be spot on, while he may have the benefit of hindsight that is beside the point as he would have been correct regardless.
    Have a great day numismatic peons!

(Lol, just kidding of course, please don't sue me for false representation Ed, I'm well aware of the incredible prowess of your legal team and wish not to have a quarrel with them.)

ddddd, Kentucky and RonSanderson like this.
  17. Evan8

Ok ok here is the answer:
    2017-08-07-10-15-36.jpg

Im just happy I finally got a 65 on a brown cent.

18. ddddd

ddddd Member

"Looks like an MS 65 BN" -Ed :p

Evan8 likes this.
  19. ddddd

ddddd Member

Personally, I thought it was an MS 63 BN originally, but I believe that the closeup images made it look like there were more hits than in actuality. Seeing the full slab photo, I would say MS 65 looks correct. Nice coin!

Evan8 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted