GTG 1903 Morgan

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by DysfunctionalVeteran, Sep 23, 2016.

1. DysfunctionalVeteran

DysfunctionalVeteran Oddly enough

This isn't my coin. I'm interested in it simply for the offset dies and the price is reasonable at sub $60. Before I take the plunge since it's still $$ I'll ask the experts your opinions on what you think.

My guess is AU53 Details cleaned and maybe environmental damage rim dings.
    The breast feathers still look good but something tells me someone tried to clean the face up and didn't do a good job.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I'd say your assessment is about right. I'd say it's got about AU55 detail, and I'd call the rim ding simply "damage" instead of "environmental damage" (env. damage generally implies corrosion).

4. DysfunctionalVeteran

Do you think the error makes it worth $60 obo in its current state or should I pass?

5. Paul M.

Considering you can get a problem-free AU55 for around $50 on eBay, I'd pass. I don't know much about pricing errors, but this misaligned die seems rather minor and not very premium-worthy. It's definitely not as cool as the 1921 with the cracked planchet. :)

6. DysfunctionalVeteran

It has a railroad edge. I offered $50. I'll see what they say when I wake up.

7. DysfunctionalVeteran

I'll share that pm after others can play the guessing game too.

dwhiz and Paul M. like this.
  8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

It is raw, how can we Guess the Grade [GTG]?

9. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

58 slider but looks overly dipped and vigorously wiped. This is what can happen when you dip a coin that's too dark and go overboard

10. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

That's not a Railroad Rim. The term is used to describe a Partial Collar strike where the collar does not cover the whole rim, making the rim resemble the wheel of a railroad car. This is a minor thing, not worth a premium.

Have a look at Coop's images here:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/is-this-a-railroad-rim.127503/

11. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

If i was buying it, i would buy it simply for the rim. Its not a railroad rim but i like it regardless

12. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

Is there any reeding impressions on the obv at about 2 o'clock? Can't tell from the pic.....could be a VAM 1C

13. DysfunctionalVeteran

Easy, you guess what you think it is.

14. SuperDave

"GTG" means "Give The Grade" here. :)

Paul M. likes this.
  15. DysfunctionalVeteran

Ohhh... I thought it was guess. I've been incorrectly playing the wrong game.:sorry:

16. Paul M.

It's only "guess" if it's already certified. Kinda hard to guess a grade when there isn't one assigned. :p (Ya, ya, I know, we could guess what you graded it, but that's not quite as fun.)

17. DysfunctionalVeteran

My idea is to use the skills learned either on here or in person to judge the coin based on the photos provided and come up with a grade. Buy the coin, not the number. This gives people a way to practice their grading skills.

I'll end up submitting it after I attempt to do some damage control. Once the coin comes back people can see how close or far they are. IMO it's useful. New members may find it useful too.

18. SuperDave

The "usefulness" of guessing TPG grades is predicated on the assumption that they grade correctly every time. Nothing could be further from the truth. :)

19. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

AU, cleaned. The error is not worth a premium. I'd pass.

Draft saved Draft deleted