GTG 1889-S Morgan

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by DysfunctionalVeteran, Sep 3, 2016.

1. DysfunctionalVeteran

DysfunctionalVeteran Oddly enough

Photos aren't that great, my apologies.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

4. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

A technical 63+ but with ngc 64. I really hope they didn't give it the $1k 65 bump. Some verdigis growing on both sides too :(

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

7. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

8. DysfunctionalVeteran

What to do about the dirty V?

9. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I'm at a 63 on this one. It looks like the hits are there to keep it at the 63 level.

10. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Depends. If it's in a 65 slab (ugh) then it's stuck in the coffin as nobody will risk a crackout and just sell it for $13-1500. If its in a 63 ($300+) or 64 ($400+) it's only a $100 difference from 64 down to 63 so a crackout then an overnight soak in acetone should work. I am slightly concerned about it being in an unc dip residue details slab or coming back as that if cracked out but I think the look is technically market acceptable. So, 63 or 64 I would personally crack soak and resubmit, if in a 65 it'd go up for sale asap

Your pics and the dark toning can be hiding more scuffs than its showing though so I honestly can't give a solid opinion of the grade

11. DysfunctionalVeteran

[​IMG]

12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Geez! you only posted this a little more than an hour ago while I was watching golf & NASCAR. I was going to say 62. There is no way that face could get a 63. She looks too much like one of my aunts.

Chris

ddddd likes this.
  13. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Whew. I was hoping for that or 63 max. Your pics were a little fuzzy. I would crack soak and resub to get the verdigris / pvc contamination off. It eats at the surface like an acid over time

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  14. DysfunctionalVeteran

I don't know if it's PVC. Won't the TPG's refuse to slab a coin contaminated by PVC?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

16. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I thought pvc, but looks dif. In the second pics.

17. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Yeah, I don't see anything really alarming about the surfaces. It's a "good" 62 but would be a weak 63. Far Slanted Date, so VAM-8 or 9, and a decent example of a tough date in Mint State.

18. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

62 that's a surprise, it being in a newer slab I was thinking gradefaltion. Or however that word is spelled:eek:

19. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

It got the low MS grade for the cheek. I like the toning, and it is a good date. If the cheek had been cleaner, it would have been an easy 63.

20. STU

STU Active Member

a good date but that toning really is not appealing I think I would crack it and have it cleaned by someone who specializes in this

21. DysfunctionalVeteran

I like toning which is why I bought it. Different strokes for different folks.

Draft saved Draft deleted