GTG 1885 O Morgan

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Paddy54, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

1885 O Morgan GTG Vam 9 DSCN7409.JPG DSCN7408.JPG

Nathan401 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

MS 64+ Reverse is perfect. Some nicks on the obverse under the toning, otherwise it would be much higher. Also weak strike, typical of the date.

4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Strike: 62
    Luster: 65
    Eye Appeal: 62+
    Contact marks: 63/64+

Wow, that strike is pretty bad! Luster appears frosty, which is good. The contact marks on the reverse are small and not in focal areas, but there are a lot of pretty big hits on the obverse. I think most people can agree on most of that.

Where I'll get a huge amount of disagreement is on the eye appeal of this piece. On the one hand, it has a really nice rainbow with an attractive color progression. On the other hand (pun intended), there is a giant palm print across the entire front of the coin. Ugh. For me, a giant print like that kills the eye appeal. I know a lot of people don't care (and some even like them), but it is not a look that I would buy. If you like it, then congrats on your coin. The reverse eye appeal is neutral.

To wrap all that up into one grade: I'd call it a 63, and wouldn't buy it myself. I would not be at all surprised if this was in a 64 holder, however.

5. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

MS64. The reverse is MS65 quality but the obverse will usually determine the grade on Morgans and this obverse has a banged up cheek and a huge fingerprint.

6. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Oh yea? I got you guys all beat-
    Its a 64+*# pizza emoji

7. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

I admittedly am awful (but working on improving) at coins exactly like this where you need to know if it's a weak strike or wear in a few areas. I personally would guess this to be an AU58 but if it's consensus that it's UNC would be curious to know how you all determine it to be a simply a strike issue and not wear anywhere?

8. Morgandude11

It is an MS coin, with a classic New Orleans weak strike.

IBetASilverDollar likes this.
  9. heavycam.monstervam

20170603_180750.jpg

Here are the 1st two places i always check for strike quality. When trying to discern wear/weak strike, the talons and wreath leaves are as good of place to start as any . (Outlined above) Obviously the hair and cotton bolls will get a once over as well...Also, AU coins can show a grey appearance in the fields.

10. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

MS64 and that die crack over T A T looks like a slightly later die state than the VAMworld plate coins. Nice, I like it!

Paddy54 likes this.
  11. ddddd

ddddd Member

I believe you aren't too far off...;)
    (note: I'm fairly certain I saw this coin listed for sale, so I won't GTG).

12. ddddd

ddddd Member

Just confirmed that I did see this before and considered purchasing.
    @Paddy54 did you pull the trigger on this one?
    I ultimately passed due to the breaks in the toning. How noticeable are those in hand?

13. Paddy54

I did purchase it today at a local show..... see your PM :)

ddddd likes this.
  14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Finger print on the obverse, or too much scotch?

15. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Ok, @physics-fan3.14 has started a good trend. I give credit to @Lehigh96 for the original suggestion of the multi-part grading. I will try to do this as well.

Strike: 61+ (It's pretty weak even for an O mint) Doesn't mean I don't like it though.
    Luster: 65
    Eye Appeal: 65
    Surface Condition: 63 obverse 65 reverse Net to 64

Overall grade: 63+★

16. Paddy54

20170604_064455.jpg 20170604_064413.jpg :rolleyes: She's much better in hand than what's captured by the camera . Is she my favorite Morgan ... no but never had a coin with both the plus + & star * couldn't pass up the chance to own one, at a price that was below value.

ddddd and Dave Waterstraat like this.
  17. Morgandude11

Got the grade, but missed the star. Really nice coin. The toning must look nicer in hand. NGC * coins have always been some of my favorite Morgans, and the +* ones are always distinctive.

Paddy54 likes this.
  18. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I under graded her by a point. But I did get the +★ :)

Paddy54 likes this.
  19. heavycam.monstervam

A pop of 7 too !! Nice catch master baiter, i mean master fisherman !!

Paddy54 and jtlee321 like this.
  20. Paddy54

Thank you one eye Timmy:jimlad: coming from you others just don't understand how much that means! :)

21. heavycam.monstervam

:jimlad:
    Therr be pieces of 8 in that dead mans chest
    Yo hoho and a bottle of rum

Paddy54 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted