GTG 1884 Indian Head Cent #13

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ldhair, Mar 6, 2016.

1. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Lets call this one a bit funky. Old green PCI holder. Didn't look like this 15 or so years back. Changed in the holder.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tpsadler likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

4. tpsadler

tpsadler Numismatist

5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The obverse pattern is a little weird, but not too bad. The reverse is funky. Do you think it was the holder itself that caused the toning?

I'd probably call it a 63, with a shot at 64.

6. tpsadler

tpsadler Numismatist

I thought I had seen lots of weird coins that have toned strangely but this one is on the top of my list now.

7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

She's not going to win any prizes for that pink face, that almost looks like the afters of a ketchup spill. Somebody was eating fries when they holdered that one. Oh, lol, but it reacted with something, Larry. On the positive side, I could see a technical MS63-64. Those diamonds are weak, but elsewhere she's sharper than normal, in my opinion. The strike didn't take well on the diamonds. Marketwise (holderwise?), which is what I think you're really asking, I'd think the toning market would accept that obverse, but I'm not liking it a lot. Just being honest.

8. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

UNC Details Altered Surfaces - otherwise it has the surfaces of a 63.

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I don't know. Maybe something that was already on the coin and the holder helped it along.

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

11. tpsadler

tpsadler Numismatist

Are you saying this grade was 15 years ago was PR62 but you did not have it graded from another TPG? and @Coinchemistry 2012 may be correct with UNC Details Altered Surfaces?

12. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I was at 62 red in the holder now I'd say 62 questionable color

13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Not sure what you are asking. I bought the coin in about 2000 (not sure) as a 62 or 63 for $139. At the time it was a nice pretty red proof with great mirrors but with too many hairlines to make a higher grade. I'm not sure if I sent it to PCI or bought it in the holder. Too many drinks ago. Could someone tell us when PCI was using the early green label with the 10 digit serial numbers?

14. tpsadler

tpsadler Numismatist

What I was saying was in regard to your statement this changed in the Holder. Wouldn't that be considered an Altered Surface if would be sent in now for Grading?

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

That's a good question. I'm not sure what they would call it. Cleaned is also possible. It's clear the coin has problems. It's going to NCS and on to NGC along with several other of the proofs I have been posting.
    I really wonder what part the holder may have had in this.

16. tpsadler

tpsadler Numismatist

Please show us how it comes back from NCG

17. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

I don't know the answer to your question, but I can tell you that they were conservative during that era, and I have crossed coins to PCGS and NGC successfully (sometimes they, especially the PQ labeled coins, upgrade). That tells me the coin clearly looked much, much, much better than currently. My guess is that chemicals were applied to recolor the piece, and we are seeing the residue turn the coin in the holder. I vote altered surfaces.

Edited to add: The term "altered surfaces" is a catch all term that does not necessarily imply mechanical manipulation. If this is the case (as I suspect it is), I do hope it cleans up nicely. Aside from the residue turning, it looks to be a very nice coin.

18. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

In my opinion, they're going to call that an acid face. Well, not those exact words, but that's the same washed out look when copper reacts with an acidic precipitant.

Draft saved Draft deleted