GtG - 1880 S Morgan (with poll)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by heavycam.monstervam, Dec 12, 2018.

?

What is the assigned grade??

1. MS63

2. MS63+

3. MS64

4. MS64+

5. MS65

6. MS65+

7. MS66

8. MS66+

9. MS67

10. MS67+

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

What is the assigned grade? s-l400.jpg s-l400-1.jpg

Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

4. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

65, though 66 wouldn’t surprise me.

6. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

would like to see close up of the obverse left field but think it could go 67

7. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

The photos have it looking 65ish but I went 66 guessing the camera lens is making it look worse than it actually is. I know my lens can make a 65 look 63...

8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Not going to venture a guess..... But a Morgan that nice could make me love the series again.

9. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

Very nice! MS66

10. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

11. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

This coin is phenomenal. Incredibly superior eye appeal and what looks like a good strike. What makes this tricky for me to grade is the reverse looks like a 65 or higher, but the mark in left field on the obverse and the marks on Liberty's cheek make me think it got held back to a 64+.

12. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

I say 65+. The cheeks and hair look real clean. The field Marks don't look too deep and dont detract too much from the focal areas.

13. heavycam.monstervam

According to some of the material ive read, the reverse cant raise the grade of a coin, but it can always lower the grade. Main reason- the reverse almost always looks better than the obverse. The wide open fields on the obverse, are like magnets for hits, scrapes, marks etc.

Paul M. likes this.
  14. CircCam

CircCam Victory

15. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

16. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

65. It’s an 80 s. Anything but a 78-81-s it’s a 66

17. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I really like this one. It's the kind of MS-65's I like to buy. I'm guessing it's a 65 anyway. The marks in the field in front of Liberty as well as the marks on her cheek hold this '80-S to a 65. If it were a anything other than a '79-S - '82-S this thing would be a 66+ shot 67 depending on how heavy those marks are on the obverse.

18. heavycam.monstervam

Alright, time for the reveal-
    s-l400-2.jpg
    I voted 65, i think maybe on its best day it could eek into a 66c holder. Idk see how an 1880S (of all dates) with THOSE field marks made it all the way up to 67+. SMH. This coin to me, is a below average example. When you look at a 67 Morgan you should be blown away !! I also happen to know for a fact, that those marks in the left obverse field will be easily seen in-hand. They will stick out like a sore thumb every time you view the coin.
    Be careful folks - its a jungle out there !!
    Sometimes it makes me wonder how i keep from going under........
    This concludes yer lesson fer the day.

19. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

This is one of those gtg where I wish I went first. My first thought was MS66-67 but after reading the thread and seeing the really low guesses I was convinced that those were abrasions on the lower cheek so I went with MS66. Had you shown the slab shot without the number I would have guessed MS67.

The only x-factor here is luster. This coin is devoid of toning, is a common date, and doesn’t have any reason to apply a market grade bump.

So both PCGS & CAC saw this coin in person and think it is high end MS67. We got to see a photograph that obviously doesn’t represent the actual appearance of the coin and are trying to tell them they got it wrong. Nope, not me, after seeing the slab photo, I have no problem with the assigned grade.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  20. IBetASilverDollar

I guess I'm the only one not surprised by that. Coin is absolutely beautiful and I think in general people overestimate how flawless 67s need to be. I think a coin has to be an actual 68 before people would ever guess 67. 67s have marks/frost breaks/imperfections. That coin is amazing.

21. IBetASilverDollar

By the way that coin sold at Goldberg and they said "A nice white coin. A coin that should be graded MS-68".

And before people say yeah yeah they want more action. The last 5-6 coins I've tracked down to a Goldberg sale their description said "Our grade...." and their grade was 1-3 points lower than the holder. They were all copper coins so maybe they're EAC guys but still, they sold MS66 coins with their grade as MS63, etc. so I think their opinion is probably not biased.

So you chose a coin that PCGS, CAC and Goldberg all thought was a high end 67 as an example of an overgraded coin. Just saying the talk about grading from pictures has legs...

Draft saved Draft deleted