GTG 1879 O Morgan

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by TypeCoin971793, Oct 27, 2018.

1. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I bought and sold this coin many months ago, which should appease the narcissists on this forum.

E853D9AF-6B3A-493E-A08E-8E3D57E68AEC.jpeg CB5BD0A4-03A5-437F-A4B3-FD861F44ADD6.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    CircCam, Rick Stachowski and Paddy54 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Looks well struck. Who Dat's are notorious for otherwise..........'65. I see no 'baggy'........might even go for '66, but I'm no expert. :)

4. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

5. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

6. HAB Peace 28 2.0

HAB Peace 28 2.0 The spiders are as big as the door

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

8. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I think there is too much chatter in the fields to get a premium gem grade, but the cheek is clean and it looks very lustrous, I say MS65.

9. SilverMike

SilverMike Well-Known Member

I’m in the 65 camp too.

10. TypeCoin971793

11. TypeCoin971793

Before everyone gets their pitchforks out, let me tell you about my in-hand observations:

1. The surfaces were are hit-free at the pictures.
    2. The luster was meh
    3. There was severe bag rub that caused some major hairlines that only show up at a specific angle of light. Neither my pictures or the seller’s pictures picked them up.

I paid MS-61 money hoping to resubmit and get a MS-63 or higher grade. But in hand, I saw this was impossible, so I left her as is and sold her for a very minor loss. I agreed with NGC on this one.

jtlee321 and CircCam like this.
  12. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

The lack of luster us apparent in the full slab pics. Maybe it was overdipped. Too bad.

13. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Agreed, in the first set of photos the coin looks fully lustrous. Yet another example of the difficulty in grading from photos.

14. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

Yep - in the first set of pics, it's hard to tell if the coin lacks luster or not. In the slab pics it looks to have low luster. Too bad, with full luster this one could go 64-65 IMHO.

15. HAB Peace 28 2.0

HAB Peace 28 2.0 The spiders are as big as the door

Not trying to steal your thunder. But, I have a PCGS 63 79 O, that looks 64. I think they grade this date a little tough? A 65 is considered a rarity. A 64 the last time I checked, is in the 500$ range. There's no reason based upon the pics, that your coin isn't atleast a 62 IMO.

16. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I missed this one. But based on the images in the OP, I would have been in the 63/64 neighborhood with my guess. Too bad about the hairlines and lack of luster.

17. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

Another good example of why I avoid buying low MS grades from pictures that look like they have clean surfaces theres usually a reason it's graded where it is. Show me the bag marks on those 61s and 62s!

This one's especially deceptive as it imaged pretty well.

Draft saved Draft deleted