GTG - 1859-O - Seated Liberty Half - NGC

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Gilbert, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

This SLH is one of several recent upgrades that have been added to my collection.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

ddddd and Noah Finney like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

4. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

My grade? VF details, cleaned. This coin, even from pictures, has the obvious tell-tale signs of being cleaned. I would sell it as damaged.

NGC’s grade? Who knows? The line between “details” and “straight” is poorly defined at best. Was the cleaning ignored and the coin given its full grade of VF-35? Or was it net graded to something like VF-20/25? Or were they correct and say VF details? Or did they fall into their pattern of overgrading details coins and say XF details?

Which is the right option for this coin? This is why the TPGs need to adopt a firm standard and stick with it: so that there is no confusion or uncertainty.

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That's not a 1959-O, it's a 1859-O. Looks cleaned to me so probably a details grade.

Gilbert, Brina and Noah Finney like this.
  6. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

Cleaned- VF detail's.

Gilbert likes this.
  7. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

VF35

Gilbert likes this.
  8. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

Yes, the rare 1958-O! :p

VF-35

Gilbert likes this.
  9. Magnus87

Magnus87 Active Member

Yes, VF30-35. But I don’t know about the “cleaned”; toning looks normal to me. Though tough to be sure just from an image. Maybe it was just given an acetone wash.

Gilbert likes this.
  10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Gilbert likes this.
  11. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

VF-35 details, improperly cleaned.

Gilbert likes this.
  12. EyeAppealingCoins

EyeAppealingCoins Well-Known Member

13. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

VF35 to XF40, cleaned, though I don't know whether the cleaning was deemed "market acceptable" enough for it to have gotten a pass (i.e., received a straight grade).

Gilbert likes this.
  14. Gilbert

First, the coin it replaced, followed by the slabbed example.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

ddddd and longshot like this.
  15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I started to call it a 45 but let others opinion get in my way. I don't see any cleaning that should effect the grade but the reverse image does give a bit of that look.
    Nice coin.

Gilbert likes this.
  16. Gilbert

Thanks, Larry. And I agree, sometimes the crowd influences our opinion, right or wrong.

17. TypeCoin971793

The picture was taken in a low-light environment, so the color you see won’t be the actual color. It will be closer to blast white.

As for the cleaning, note how there are clear hairlines in the obverse field. Next, note how the surfaces are a glossy gray. Finally, notice how there is a dark halo around the devices, which is the original layer of patina that the cleaning tool was unable to reach and scrape off. The coin is 100% cleaned.

Gilbert likes this.
  18. TypeCoin971793

As for the grade, I am guessing the weak strike and the poorly-lit scans made the coin appear more worn than it actually is. Looking again, the details are consistent with the numerical grade.

Gilbert likes this.
  19. gbandy

gbandy Junior Member

For the folks who said it looked cleaned, what gives you that impression? I’m a newbie at this, some of the obviously cleaned coins stick out to me, but for this one, it has a gray tone with darker color in the recesses, looks consistent with lightly circulated, straight graded coins I’ve seen.

Or is there an amount of cleaning the TPG’s overlook before giving a details grade?

Gilbert likes this.
  20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Really. Blast white?
    I feel the coin is nice enough to receive a straight grade.

Gilbert and longshot like this.
  21. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Gilbert likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted