GTG - 1828 Capped Bust Half

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by TypeCoin971793, Jun 2, 2016.

1. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Certified by NGC and CAC approved.

This is not my coin, but I think it is worthy of discussion.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

And before anyone complains, I realize that the coin is actually an 1829.

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

It should be a 58

Insider likes this.
  5. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

6. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

7. royster

royster southroy

Great coin thank you for sharing AU-58

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I'm thinking more a AU-55

9. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

10. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I'm right on the line between AU55 and AU58. Since it's NGC and it CACd, I'm going to say AU55.

11. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I'd grade it AU55 too, but a higher grade even in the MS range wouldn't surprise me either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rzage likes this.
  12. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Beautiful AU-58 but a MS grade wouldn't surprise me at all .

13. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

O-110; the large letters and tight word spacing on the reverse are a dead giveaway. It was also used on 1828 O-118, so we might be gentle with opinion on the twice-used reverse. I'll be quite surprised if it isn't in a Mint State holder.

14. TypeCoin971793

Well, the grade is
    image.jpeg

which I think is stupid because "Mint State" means NO WEAR OR CIRCULATION. Dont give me any of the "market grade" crap. If it is worth a premium because of the eye appeal, then someone will pay for it if the buyer has any appreciable knowledge about coins. That's what the coin is "worth." You don't need a grade number, erroneous as it is in this case, to determine what a certain coin is worth. The SOLE JOB of the TPGs is to authenticate and accurately grade the present condition of the coin, not to determine what it is worth. It seems many people don't understand this. It just creates misconceptions among collectors that don't know what they are doing.

If you can't see the signs of circulation for some reason, I am more than happy to point that out.

If you feel like overpaying for an overgraded and overpriced AU half dollar (which is quite nice), you can buy it here:

http://treasureofsignificance.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17620&page=1

Seattlite86 likes this.
  15. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Yeah that one is an au 63. I just had a. Bust with similar wear and surface come back au 50 from pcgs still bs on that. 55/58 right for either. Cac must have approved it due to the surface appeal. But the luster breaks tell me it's circulated. Tho lightly

16. TypeCoin971793

That shouldn't exist. It is hard enough for the TPGs to consitently give accurate grades; we don't need them trying to determine value as well. It only confuses those that don't have advanced grading skills yet. If a collector knows that a coin is superior for the grade, he/she does not need to have the grade inflated to tell him/her that the coin is superior for the grade.

It's shameful that the official grading service of the ANA does not follow the ANA grading standards.

Seattlite86 and rzage like this.
  17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

They sure missed that one. The grader must have had on someone else's glasses that day. :)

18. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I believe you're reading far too much into one single set of images, especially when they're not particularly large, sharp or well-lit.

19. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Dave I think they're saying there's definite rub over the eye and wing tips of the eagle , not much but enough and that's just the reverse .

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    Insider likes this.
  20. Browns Fan

Browns Fan Active Member

I was thinking the color didn't look right so Unc details. Yes, I'm a novice

21. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Yep - looks like one of those "cabinet friction" graded coins. Looks like a touch of rub on some of the high points. This is one I would ooh over - but never buy at that grade.

Seattlite86 and rzage like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted