GTG 1811 Bust Half

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ldhair, Feb 14, 2019.

1. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Round fourteen. PCGS.
    txogeqtdocrw2.jpg

old49er, BigTee44, buckeye73 and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

4. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

Darn that's a banging coin! I would say MS61. This is a very wild guess because I'm still in shock from seeing this thing.

5. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

53, hope the obv. scratches didn't detail it. I really do like it!

6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

7. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Since PCGS is inconsistent with how it deals with scratches like this, I will refrain from guessing. My grade is AU details, though.

8. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

9. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

10. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

11. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Marvelous coin Larry. I don't think the bust area condemns it to bad.
    AU55.

12. BoonTheGoon

BoonTheGoon Grade A mad lad

Beautiful coin!

13. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

There are some very good things about this coin...and some bad.

On the obverse, there are great details in the Liberty Cap, in the word LIBERTY, in her hair, in her facial features(with a sneer? on her lips), in the drapery and even in the button of the drapery. The Stars stand out. They are very well formed and well defined.
    But those SCRATCHES!!!
    How could someone do that to such a beautiful Lady? Those are not accidental.
    Look close at the top of the drapery just below the scratches. It appears that someone may have tried to rub out the scratches and, in so doing, rubbed away some of the top edge of the clothing.

On the reverse, the mottos are well defined and, for the most part, stand out well.
    The Eagle stands out well, and except for the top of his head and the top corners of his wing shoulders, has very little, if any, wear. Even his talons are, for the most part, wear-free. The top arrowhead has lost most of its shaft, the middle one is still sharp, and the bottom one, while still there, is a little worn. The shield, while mostly well-defined, has some minor problems such as the obvious wear at the bottom center, and what appears to be letters/marks between the vertical stripes. The top half of the shield has some staining/tarnish with what might be a die chip in the top center.
    And again we have Scratches. Circular scratches that go almost all the way around the coin.

This is an excellent looking coin....except for the scratches.
    Without the scratches, an MS 66 or 67, but with them, only a 61 or 62.

What a Shame.

14. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Scratches on the bust make me concerned. Assuming it straight grades, AU55. Stunning

15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

very pretty coin, AU-63

or AU-58

16. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I don't see any dark metal indicating rub, so will guess MS 62 (assuming here the graders considered the marks on the chest more incidental than deliberate). Another lovely coin. This one looks like it was dipped, then retoned in an album very nicely.

17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

When I first saw images of this coin, I said no. When I saw it in person, I wanted it but didn't have the cash with me to buy it. Months later it came up again in a group I was buying and said, what the heck, I'll take the whole group.

Hookman and Seattlite86 like this.
  18. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

19. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

20. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Die cracks, actually.

21. coinsareus10

coinsareus10 Well-Known Member

58 nice looking coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted