GTG 1799 Draped Bust Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by TypeCoin971793, Jun 12, 2017.

1. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I've never done a GTG on something like this. This will be a fun exercise in humility. :)

Strike: 65 (I know these were struck on screw presses and the mint has some serious issues with the early dollars due to the presses not being designed for such a large coin. I can't recall if this date falls into that range of not.)

Luster: 53 (I think I see wear in some of the highest points of this dollar)
    Eye Appeal: 63
    Contact marks: 63

Overall I'd grade it AU-55. Now how bad did I do?

4. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

All the places that seem to have wear could also be from a weak strike. This looks like a mint state coin to me. As for the surfaces, those marks on the obverse don't look like contact marks and remind me of planchet roughness, so while my first impression was MS60, I am going to say that the overall eye appeal of the coin brings the grade up to MS62.

The pullaway toning on this coin is very cool, especially on the seven in the date.

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Strike-well struck the rim is strong, portrait and eagles neck are all there.

Eye appeal 62 -though most of these dollars have been dipped in the past this one has toned over fairly nice. I have read that this doesn't hold the back the grade,(almost every dollar has been dipped in the past). There is evidence of wear on the highpoints. complete loss of luster in the open fields

Damage- there is a rim ding at 5 o'clock (rev).
    over all I think it straight graded at 58
    But I wouldn't be surprised to see 61or 62 money for it.

6. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

NGC graded this one MS-63. It is currently for sale for $53,000, and no one has bought it for quite some time.

There is wear, as seen where the high points turn a different color than the surrounding metal. The luster in the fields is also worn away. I would have said AU-55 maximum.

Yes I disagree with the TPG on this one, but it is not hard to see that the AU-58s I posted are superior in quality to this MS-63, and both could be had for a total less than this coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted