Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Coll3ctor, May 27, 2021.
Log in or Sign up to hide this ad.
Very solid point. You don’t know what you are dealing with typically on EBay. You can feel confident in a GC purchase.
No issues on any purchases i've made there either..
They ship USPS signature required so if you miss the postman it's down to the PO you go.
As a seller... expect prices slightly above wholesale. They aren't going to get retail prices, and they aren't going to get stellar auction results. They sell a lot of stuff, but its usually somewhat common. You don't get whales at GC.
As a buyer... there are hidden gems, and you can get good deals if you spend the time.
In my mind, GC kind of filled the space that Teletrade left when they closed, but GC does it better. It's mostly widgets, but you can get really nice widgets for good prices sometimes.
I'm not sure about entertaining.....
- greater highs and lower lows
- potential for scams
- potential for unidentified varieties
Ebay is its own unique wild-west. Great Collections is like the St. Louis Arch, just on the border of the West.
1. No sales tax and only 10 percent buyer’s fee if paying by echeck. Also faster and cheaper shipping than Heritage.
2. Bidding software is less sophisticated than eBay or HA. I’m not sure if sniping software can be used (someone please correct me if I’m wrong) and it’s not practical to bid on multiple auctions ending close together if you can only afford to win one.
3. I feel like I’ve gotten some better deals, perhaps due to lower visibility.
4. Photos are brighter than HA. Not saying that’s good or bad, just an observation.
5. No issues at all with customer service.
6. There seems to be a lot of low value coins along with high value coins in the same auction, but not always as much in between. For example, a VG details bust quarter is not what I would be looking for, but neither is one graded MS65.
I would use them exclusively due to their lower fees, but sometimes HA and EBay just have more of what I’m looking for. Maybe I just need to be more patient. They are an excellent outfit and would probably be my first choice for consignment.
Separate names with a comma.