England: silver crown of Charles II, 1679, TRICESIMO PRIMO edge, mint error

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Jun 14, 2020.

?

How interesting/appealing do you find this coin, whether or not you're an expert? (1=worst, 10=best)

1. 10

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. 9

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. 8

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. 7

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  7. 4

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  8. 3

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

England: silver crown of Charles II, 1679, TRICESIMO PRIMO edge, mint error
    01-Chas2-crown-frame.png
    Obverse: Third bust of Charles II right.
    Reverse: Crowned arms of England, Scotland, France, and Ireland, with double "C" monograms in the angles.
    Issuer: Charles II, King of England (1660-1685).
    Specifications: Silver, Third Bust with TRICESIMO PRIMO edge lettering. Standards are 38.6 mm, 30.1 g*.
    Grade: PCGS F12, cert. #33019567. The slab label calls it "Broadstruck", but according to Heritage and others, it is more likely just slightly off-center.
    Reference: KM-435, PCGS-610827, Numista-53756, Spink-3358 3rd Bust, Davenport-3776 ("varieties exist").
    Provenance: ex-Heritage Auction 271911, Lot 40047, 17 March 2019.*
    Notes: Charles II took the throne in 1660, ending the Commonwealth period of England which had begun in 1649 with the overthrow and beheading of his father, Charles I, during the English Civil War. After that interregnum of 11 years, Charles' rise to the throne became known as the Restoration.
    Comments: I found the contrasting grey toning on this coin very appealing and handsome, despite its relatively modest grade. I bought this one for its eye appeal, so the minor mint error was just an added bonus.

01-Chas2-crown-frame.png 02-Chas2-crown-TrueView.png 03-Chas2-crown-black.png 03-Chas2-crown-gradient.png 04-Chas2-crown-white.png 05-Chas2-crown-shadowbox.png 06-Chas2-crown-obv.png 07-Chas2-crown-rev.png

023100S

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Nice historic piece.

Santinidollar and lordmarcovan like this.
  4. Robidoux Pass

Robidoux Pass Well-Known Member

A most interesting period in British history -- the House of Stuart and the interruption for the Civil Wars. I too like the grey toning on this coin. It is a quite attractive piece to the eye.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

I gave it a 10 because it's very attractive and there's a great deal of history behind English monarchs. IMO all European 1/2 crown and crown sized coins are very desirable.

lordmarcovan, longshot and Maxfli like this.
  6. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Also a 10 for these same reasons.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  7. lordmarcovan

I voted 10 as well, for all the same reasons. It is obviously not a high grade coin but it really appeals to me all the same. And since it's a large coin, it's impressive in hand, without the need of a loupe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Lovely piece of old English silver. I give it a 9. Have something very similar looking from William III (1696). They are a truly impressive chunk of silver and steeped in history. The mint error is an additional bonus:)

Most are well circulated and badly worn but if I were to look for one today, I would try to find a coin in better condition than my current piece. I know it would cost considerably more but it would also be conditionally rare.

F779EC7F-3B46-41D5-9F47-2EDEAFEAB425.jpeg

F4F085A0-DE6A-4311-A2AF-56302054444F.jpeg

9. lordmarcovan

That too is a very handsome one.

1934 Wreath Crown likes this.
  10. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

The older I get, the more that counts!

11. lordmarcovan

Believe me, I know.

12. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Nice one, lordmarcovan. That "broadstruck" aspect is interesting - thanks for the link because I didn't know what broadstruck was.

I submit this Charles II crown from 1673 in an effort to win The Ugly Baby Contest - or, this is what $25 and too much time spent trolling eBay will get you:

UK - 1673 Crown Feb 2016 (0).jpg

Bradley Trotter and PaulTudor like this.
  13. lordmarcovan

An 18th century love token on a 17th century crown for 25 bucks sounds like all win to me! Great grab!

There ain't a lick of "ugly" there, to my eyes.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  14. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

I believe I've posted this coin before as part of an entry post to one of your past contests, @lordmarcovan. Anyway, here is my lowball Charles II crown that I purchased at the spring 2018 Ancient City Coin Club Coin and Currency Show in St. Augustine, Florida. The dealer who had it failed to recognize the edge inscription V. Octavo and sold it to me for about $12 as an undated piece of junk silver

1676 English Crown Obverse.jpg
    1676 English Crown .jpg

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    Marsyas Mike and lordmarcovan like this.
  15. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

$12!! That's a heckuva deal - isn't that pretty close to melt? I'm jealous.

16. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

I'm not sure as to what the silver price per ounce was in April of 2018, but I'm sure I paid under melt value at the time. A lot of the dealers I've interacted with often sell foreign silver at a slight discount, more so for cull and lowball quality coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted