Grade my Triple Die Obverse newp - 1962D Franklin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by physics-fan3.14, Nov 24, 2009.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Just got this one in the mail, and when I put it under the loupe discovered there is a sweet Triple Die Obverse. All 1962 Franklins (Philly, Denver, and Proofs) have a DDO (light spread on WE TRUST and L of LIBERTY), it was part of the master die. Mine has additional doubling evident as tripling on TRUST and the date. I believe it to be DDO-002, and is a sweet early die state. So, take a look and give me a grade for this puppy. (It is in an NGC holder, so I'll reveal their grade soon!)

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I don't see any doubling, never mind tripling.
    Gonna have to get a LOT closer for me to see what you're talking about.

4. physics-fan3.14

I wasn't even trying to show the tripling here. I don't have the setup to show it properly. Just wanted to know what y'all thought for a grade ;)

5. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

I'll give it an A-.

MS64 I think the cheek marks and the marks on the rev bell keep it from going higher.

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

MS 64 almost-but-not-quite-FBL

Nice coin & fabulous photos.

7. Joshycfl

Joshycfl Senior Member

If you look at the bottom of the E in "WE" you can see some doubling.

I agree MS64

8. physics-fan3.14

I believe the bottom of E is a trick of lights/shgadows. You can see hints of the tripling at the bottom of the crossbars of the T.

And no one has gotten the grade right yet.....

9. Leadfoot

Fbl and/or 63?

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

OK, I'm confused. Which is it ?

Myself, I think it's borderline bag material. Based on the pics it appears the coin has at the least been wiped and at the worst harshly cleaned. But apparently NGC did not see it that way and slabbed it anyway. Hopefully they did not go any higher than 63.

11. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

My final offer.

12. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

This is a perfect example of comments I posted more than a few months ago, regarding the Franklin Halfs and NGC & PCGS grading of this issue. It truly does not surprise me that this one passed. I shutter to think what they graded it.

13. Leadfoot

I gave the second answer after the OP said nobody got it right. ;)

14. physics-fan3.14

Wow, nobody got it anywhere near right. NGC graded this coin MS-65FBL, and I agree. The obverse is probably a 64.7, but the reverse is a very strong 65+. 65 is a good grade. The bell lines are also quite strong and uninterrupted. Any weakness you see is a result of my image.

Doug, your grading of my past few coins has been harsh, to the point of almost being ridiculous. There is not a trace of any wipe on this coin - the lines you see are die polish lines. If there were cleaning hairlines to the extent that you contend,

a. - only a blind person would have missed it. Both NGC and myself approved of this coin, and I have not yet seen a harshly cleaned modern make it into a slab. I fully agree with NGC's grade - keep in mind that very large pictures and certain lighting techniques can magnifiy the appearance of marks. This is one of the tricks of examining coins from photos.

b. - the luster would not be strong and bold as it is.

15. Leadfoot

FBL doesn't come as much of a shock, but I am very surprised with the 65 grade -- the fields look clean enough for a 65, but the hits on old Ben are a bit much for me to grade the coin gem.

Thanks for sharing & congrats on your attractive NEWP.

16. coinman0456

17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I can only comment on what I see, and what I see is what I described. And while there are die polish lines on the coin, die polish lines do not go in multipe directions and criss-cross each other. And if I was so far off in my estimate of grade then why most others have the same estimate ?

So no, I do not think I am being rediculous at all. But I sure think NGC was being rediculous when they graded that coin a 65.

18. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I not sure about being a 3X die MS-63 no Full Bell line

19. physics-fan3.14

Die polish lines most certainly do go in a number of different directions. They are just brush lines from a mint worker - depending on how enthusiastic the scrubbing was, you can get any number of a variety of patterns. I've seen curved lines, straight lines, crisscross lines, heavy lines, light lines, circular lines, and any combination of any of the above.

And I do find the range of grade estimates interesting. With exactly the same set of pictures, the members of the NGC chat board came much closer to the accurate grade, with a couple of them pegging my estimate of a split grade 64.7/66 dead on.

20. raider34

raider34 Active Member

I gave it a 65, but not fbl though, nice coin. As for the polish lines, I'm speaking just on Morgans but there are many examples that have polish lines that crisscross, go in different directions, and curve. I was just looking at this VAM (VAMworld - 1921-P VAM-27A) if you scroll through all the pics, there are a number of examples. The '21 Morgans are notorious for heavy polish lines.

21. coinman0456

Well Congrats on the Grade and Designation, though I disagree. The bottom line is, your more than satisfied with it, and it fits nicely in your collection.

Draft saved Draft deleted