Grade Guess 1826 Capped Bust Half

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Bonedigger, May 21, 2006.

1. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Here is an OLDER graded ANACS 1826 Capped Bust Half which I'd like you to take a shot at grading. It might surprise you somewhat.

Thanks for looking
    Bone

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. B12

B12 Coin Hoarder

I'd say VF35.

B12

4. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

My grade VF25 but ANACS might have gone to VF35.

Speedy

5. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

Id say it is VF30- ANACS may have gave it VF35.

6. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Chuckle, you guys were behind my back when I took the picture :) VF-35. Good job B12.

Take Care
    Bone

[​IMG]

7. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

beautiful! I love the look of original busties, they are my favorites!

8. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

In your opinion does this coin look tooled?

Bone

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

VF 35 is my guess...Mike

10. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

Actually Bone , that was the first thought that popped into my head when I saw it. The hair just looks weird to me.But if ANACS didnt say it than it most likley isn't .But you never know they may have missed it.

11. The_Cave_Troll

I don't think so, but I could be wrong. Where are you thinking it may be tooled?

12. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

The curls look pretty defined (maybe tooled). But the seller seemed to think the coin was in the XF range as well, so...

B

13. Charlie32

Charlie32 Coin Collector

It looks like it has a very strong strike, which could make it look tooled. The old ANACS was the best TPG at detecting tooling, IMHO.

Charlie

14. The_Cave_Troll

It's a very strong strike for a bust half, so that could be it, but without the coin in hand I just can't be certain if it's tooled or not.

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Bone is asking for opinions because in another discussion I voiced the opinion that I think the coin is tooled - even if it is slabbed by ANACS.

16. Leadfoot

I see no evidence of tooling. I think the odd angle and light position of the original photo has fooled people into thinking otherwise.

By way of reference, here is a cleaned AU example currently being auctioned by Heritage:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is an AU 58 that recently sold: http://coins.heritageauctions.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=405&Lot_No=7796&src=pr#Photo

Here is a VF 35 from the Reiver sale: http://coins.heritageauctions.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=391&Lot_No=29660#Photo

For those of you who think the original coin has been tooled, where specifically was it tooled?

Have fun...Mike

17. The_Cave_Troll

I've learned to trust Doug's opinion even if I don't see exactly what he is talking about, maybe after a few decades at this I will be as well regarded. That said, where is the tooling Doug? I just don't see the evidence, what am I missing? I want to learn from this...

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Bone and I had a good discussion about this coin. I freely admitted I could be wrong, especially since all I have to go by are pics. But I also said that even if I had the coin in hand I don't think I'd change my mind. That being said - the area that concerns me is the hair. The detail just seems way to sharp and deep for a coin with that amount of wear.

Tooled coins always have a certain look about them, and sharp, crisp details in one area - when they don't exist anywhere else on the coin is one of the things that causes that look. And to me, this coin has that look. I freely admit, it jumped out at me at first glance - and over the years I've learned to trust my first impression. But - just in case I was wrong, because as everybody here knows I make my share of mistakes too, I went looking.

I searched through several pages of Heritage records and pics looking for coins in a similar condition to this one. I checked white coins, dark coins, toned coins and dirty coins - all of them 1826. And in every case - not a single one of them had detail like that in the hair. Yes, there were coins graded higher that had it, just like the one that Mike posted. But not all of them did, the pic I finally settled on for a comparison was one graded XF45 by NGC - even it doesn't have that kind of detail. It is - HERE.

Anyway, that's my reasoning in a nutshell.

By the way, I think the NGC coin is overgraded.

19. Leadfoot

I very much respect Doug's opinion, but I'm still not sold. Take another picture of the coin, with the light at 12 o'clock and as close to the camera as possible and post them, please. I just have trouble believing that ANACS missed tooling that can be seen in a photo, and I still think the odd lighting angle accentuated the hair detail...Mike

20. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

wow, that coin really does have a lot of detail in the hair. I mean that is some really sharp detail. Good eyes.

Draft saved Draft deleted