Grade a few Lincolns

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by physics-fan3.14, Jan 22, 2016.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I picked up a few Lincolns at the FUN show, just for fun. Go ahead, guess the grade.

Also, explain why you graded it the way you did. The explanation and process may be just as interesting as the grade, and will help others learn.

IMG_1712 copy.jpg IMG_1713 copy.jpg IMG_1702 copy.jpg IMG_1705 copy.jpg IMG_1696 copy.jpg IMG_1699 copy.jpg

IMG_1737 copy.jpg IMG_1740 copy.jpg

dwhiz likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gibsport

gibsport Active Member

Ok, I'll be the first to have someone gasp at my poor grading. I always find it very difficult in pictures. My laptop isn't the greatest. Here goes: 30D MS63 Brown.
    1931 AU55 1931S AU53 1941 MS63 red. I am just going by what I can see of wear on Lincoln's face in the pics. The 31 S seems to show just slightly more wear than the 31. The others I'm looking for bag marks, etc.

4. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

63 or possible questionable color.
    50 Too much chatter for a higher graded

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    rzage likes this.
  5. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

1. 64BN, not PL. Mostly brown, free of nasty marks, but little spots keep it at 64
    2. 53, not PL.
    3. 50, not PL. Looks a little too smooth, borderline 45, but enough detail for AU
    4. 65RD, not PL. Flashy, full enough red for red designation. Small ticks on shoulder typical of 65.

Stevearino likes this.
  6. physics-fan3.14

Haha, no, none of these are PL. There are no PL (copper) Wheaties designated, and I've never seen one that I thought would get it. These are just for the Whitman thumb-buster.

Stevearino and Amos 811 like this.
  7. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

1) MS64 BN
    2) AU50
    3) AU53
    4) MS65 RD

8. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Nice pick ups. Here we go!

MS63BN
    AU58
    AU55
    MS66RD

9. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

64-Br
    65 .

10. physics-fan3.14

Especially for the 30D, I'm curious how you guys arrived at 63BN or 64BN (you guys are in the right range, just want details). I agree that it is UNC (and I think the color is natural), but could y'all explain why you chose 63 or 64?

11. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

30-D Descent luster, but several nicks particularly around the wheats. That would be a 64, but then there are those spots.

12. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I thought the strike was good, and the surface preservation looks in the 63-64 range. The spotting looks pretty minor and I'm guessing that it is not as distracting in hand. The reverse luster looks great and I'm assuming that the obverse is lustrous as well which is why I opted for 64 rather than 63.

13. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

I recommend the Art and Science of Grading Chins. Then you can grade them yourself... [emoji6]

14. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Let's see, there's single, double, dimpled, bearded, weak, strong, double with extra jowls, ...

rlm's cents likes this.
  15. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

What a wonderfully comical typo! And given the subject (Lincolns)...

Here I was just trying to be a smart ass with Jason, but this is even better.

16. physics-fan3.14

I really don't find the "chinless" look attractive. That's just me.

jester3681 likes this.
  17. gibsport

gibsport Active Member

I went with 63 based on what appeared to be a nick on the neck, in the beard and a couple small ones right on the cheekbone. Also, the nick through the wheat on the reverse. Along with the spotting, I just put at 63.

18. physics-fan3.14

Alright, good answers everyone! These are all raw, so there really isn't a right or wrong answer - but I'm glad to see everyone is in the right range.

30D - I personally called this one a 63BN. I bought it because I like the colors, and the luster is quite good in hand. The spots, however, limit it to a 63 for me.

31 - I called this a 55. It's just just a touch too much wear for a 58. Someone mentioned "chatter" bringing the grade down - circulated coins are graded based on wear, and that's pretty much it (unless the TPG does a silent net grade). The chatter will bring down the value some, but shouldn't affect the grade.

31S - This Key Date coin is quite attractive, in my opinion. I also agree with the consensus grade of 53. I bought it for the smooth, evenly colored fields, with good luster present in the protected areas. I like this coin.

41 - I called this one a 65RD. The luster is blazing, and the color is attractive. The strike, and the tickmarks on the shoulder, limit the grade.

jester3681 likes this.
  19. anderspud

anderspud Active Member

The only mint state coin is the 4th, 1941. Being strict in mostly following the grading in the Mega Red Book, I end up with much lower ratings for the first three.
    1930D VF30: Too mottled to be an XF. Stark appearance
    1931 EF40: Image is sharp and and a touch of red, but the field is not uniform.
    1931S F15: Too much wear to qualify as EF. For example, the bowtie is not separated from the collar. And a rather somber appearance.
    Well you asked us to be critical and to explain our choices.

20. physics-fan3.14

Wow. You either need to recalibrate your monitor, or re-read the grading guides. You are *significantly* off (by 30 or more points) on at least 2 of those guesses.

Try comparing my pictures to the pictures on PCGS' Photograde app, here: http://www.pcgs.com/photograde/

21. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I probably used the wrong word. Too many nicks/cuts. They are not deep, but there are many. And I still think there are enough to lower the grade.

Draft saved Draft deleted