Get your bids in now while you can.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by furham, Dec 28, 2020.

1. DBDc80

DBDc80 Numismatist

It is a beautiful coin, wow!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

I asked them to keep my bid secret! :rolleyes:

4. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I placed a bid of $375 but got a pop-up window saying “nice try!”... any ideas?

masterswimmer likes this.
  5. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

They're bluffing...time to low ball 'em...$255!

6. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

The slab grade of a wonder coin like this should be completely irrelevant. Unfortunately, it probably isn't.

I agree that it could go for 7 figures. To the best of my knowledge, only two half cents have ever sold at auction for 7 figures, and one only made that with the juice.

7. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

I'm going to see if a BIN offer works :)

8. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I got to view this coin back in January. ‘Tis a beauty

9. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

When it comes to the super rare coins I don't think it makes a difference whether it's in a PCGS or NGC slab the coin stands on it's own merit. Even if this coin was in an ANACS slab it still would be the finest known. I'm of the opinion that anyone that is willing to spend that amount of money for a coin should know what they're doing. The slab is irrelevant at this level. These coins were sold way before slabbing was a "thing". Finest or rarest hasn't changed.

TypeCoin971793 and furham like this.
  10. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

No, most of the whales, even when they know what the are doing, want PCGS plastic, and in an unfortunate number of cases, CAC sticky cardboard. You would be surprised at the number of Eric P. Newman coins that were sold in NGC plastic at the auctions are now PCGS graded.

11. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Well-Known Member

There was a long discussion on PCGS v NGC on the cross over of the Eliasberg 1894-S dime and that it may be worth a bit more in a PCGS holder . It is a bit strange for sure and I think a bit of shame for special holder like the Eric P Newman coins(its part of the history of the coin to me) but that is the market for you.

12. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

i think it makes it worth 30% more (in my book, but yeh i love errors!!)

Draft saved Draft deleted