Germany (Weimar) 1923 G 200 Mark - DDO or DDNO?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by stldanceartist, Oct 13, 2015.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Sorry for the pun. I literally HAD to write it.

Anyway, just picked up this lovely 1923 G 200 Mark. Got it home and under a loupe, and I'm thinking it's a doubled die (@paddyman98). I'd like to see what everyone else thinks:

Germany - 1923 G 200 Mark DDO.jpg

Germany - 1923 G 200 Mark DDO - Closeup 1.jpg
    Germany - 1923 G 200 Mark DDO - Closeup 2.jpg

Well...what do you think?

micbraun, furryfrog02 and paddyman98 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Interesting. Looks different than MD that's for sure. Now you have me excited. I just bought a 200 mark off ebay the other day. Can't wait til it gets to my house :)

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I know you didn't miss it but starting from the letter K in EINIGKEIT then all the way around to the star under the Heraldic Eagle there looks to be a huge Die Crack going through most of the tops of the letters. That might cause that DDO (that's actually the Obverse not the Reverse) appearance? But then I think, can an Aluminum planchet as this 200 Mark cause enough stress on a Die to cause such a break?

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Strange, sure.

Since the amount of doubling is not consistent, I would guess (yes, guess) that it is a DDO [per Paddyman98].

Interesting, and it does appear so

6. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Ha ha...I had it titled correctly at first and changed it to the wrong side. Having a day...

Yeah, it doesn't look like strike doubling, and I did see the die cracks. I literally just bought the coin because it was a nice example of an UNC aluminum coin before 1940...the doubling is an added bonus.

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted