Germany (Nürnberg): silver Augsburg Confession medal by Daniel Dockler the Younger, 1730

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Jun 16, 2020.

?

How interesting/appealing do you find this item, whether or not you're an expert? (1=worst, 10=best)

1. 10

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. 9

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. 8

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. 7

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. 6

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. 5

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Germany (Nürnberg): silver Augsburg Confession medal by Daniel Dockler the Younger, 1730
    AugsburgConfession-frame.png
    Obverse: Allegorical scene of the Augsburg Confession being presented to Holy Roman Emperor Charles V.
    Reverse: Eight lines of text in decorative frames. The inscription ICH REDE / VON DEINEN / ZEUGNISSEN / VOR KOENIGEN is Psalm 119:46: "I will speak of Your testimonies also before kings". The second portion, A.C. / ZWEITES GE/DÆCHTNUS / MDCCXXX roughly translates to "A.C. second remembrance [bicentennial], 1730".
    Issuer: City of Nuremberg (Nürnberg) in the German state of Bavaria.
    Specifications: Silver, 20 mm, 4.56 g.
    Grade: PCGS AU50, cert #37681945.
    Reference: PCGS-748952, Whit-410 Ag.
    Provenance: ex-Künker am Dom, Germany, via MA-Shops, 17 December 2018.* Purchased raw.
    Notes: This 1730 medal by Daniel Sigmund Dockler the Younger (1667–1753) commemorates the 200th anniversary of the Augsburg Confession of 1530. It was the primary confession of faith of the Lutheran Church and is one of the most important documents of the Protestant Reformation. Just look at the detail of the emperor on his throne, being presented with a book that says "A-C" (for Augsburg Confession). Look closer, and you will see the double-headed eagle of the Holy Roman Empire on the tapestry behind him. This is not a huge medal. At 26 mm, it is only slightly larger than a US quarter. Dockler had been a master since 1696 and was well established in his career by the time this piece was engraved, and it shows his mastery.
    Comments: It was the intricate design of this medal which initially appealed to me. (The attractive toning was a bonus.) As so often happens, I was drawn in by the eye appeal of the item and only later learned about its history. My collection has always been a great teacher to me in that regard.

AugsburgConfession-frame.png

AugsburgConfession-TrueView.jpg

AugsburgConfession-black.png

AugsburgConfession-gradient.png

AugsburgConfession-white.png

AugsburgConfession-shadowbox.jpg

AugsburgConfession-slab.png

012021S

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

9 for me, would be a 10 if it were a coin!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

It only cost $70-something after overseas shipping (but before slabbing). I thought that was relatively inexpensive.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  5. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I think that's a great deal.

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted