found a barber in a bag of junk silver

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by DirkB, Sep 16, 2002.

1. DirkB

DirkB New Member

i bought a bag of junk silver off a dealer a few days back and found a barber dime intere it's a bit worn out but i can see the date is 1894. what a sprise that was it's so old and i didn't expect anything so old in that bad full mostly roosevelt dimes. i guess it's not better than good because there's no liberty on it head band but it's not a common date either. maybe it's bout good or good. anybody else had good luck in junk silver?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. craton

craton New Member

I once purchased a bag of junque :wink: silver dimes from a dealer on the east coast. I got to chatting with him a bit and asked him if he'd throw in some barbers. He threw in quite a few. If I am remembering correctly, probably about one fifth of the bag!
    I can't remember the name of the shop but do remember it was located inside of a Sears department store which allowed me to use my Sears card. The wife didn't find out about that one :twisted:

Jason

4. Chrysta Wilson

Chrysta Wilson New Member

Wow, it is a reallygood thing that the Sears near me does not have a coin shop in it (is this common? I never heard of this before). My husband thinks I am bad about buying shoes in there...well lets just say that stinkin' Sears charge would always be maxed.
    :lol:

5. craton

craton New Member

I had never heard of it before. I'm may be remembering that this was in New York and the shop was there for many years when SEARS was a newer store. It was allowed to stay for all of these years. I wish I could remember the name of the shop. How I found out about them was seeing their add in the bag of a coin zine. It had a SEARS logo and I must say I got pretty excited. They even sold on ebay ;)
    Jason

6. florida

florida Junior Member

There is a Marshall Fields in Chicago that has (if it's still there) a coin area in it. That was 6 years ago, though.

7. lawdogct

lawdogct Coin Collector

quick google search on Sears Coin shop NY produces:

Sears Roebuck Coin & Precious
    4 Smith Haven Mall
    Lake Grove, NY 11755-1293

8. Charlie32

Charlie32 Coin Collector

Did it have an S mint mark? :eek: ;)

Charlie

9. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

I don't know if the guy that started this thread will tell you....he started it in 2002...

Speedy

10. I Palindrome I

I Palindrome I Senior Member

Still does. I usually pick something up at the regular coin auctions. Last one, I scored a 1813, 1822, and 1839-O bust halves. I'll post pics soon

11. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

A guy I work with who started collecting in the early '50s says he used to buy from a small coin area in the Washington,DC Sears.Probably an ol-timey thing.

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Even Woolworth's and JC Penney used to sell coins - so did S.S. Kressge. I'll bet only a few even remember 2 of those names :D

13. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

I must be old, I remember them all very well.

(F.W.) Woolworth's still exist in other countries - UK, Australia, New Zealand, Austria, Germany. The company is still in the USA as well, but now goes by the name of Foot Locker.

SS Kresge (Sebastian Spering Kresge) alias KMart for you youngsters.

14. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

I remember woolworth's, and I'm only 22! I only know of one though, and it closed down probably in the very early 90's. It was a neat little store, and I have a feeling walmart and kmart ran them out of town.

15. youngcollector

youngcollector U.S. coin collecter

yes, I live in the greater Chicago area and I have been in there recently. It's in the Marshell Fields on State Street.

Draft saved Draft deleted