Found a 1820 large cent today for type registry

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Vess1, Feb 19, 2023.

1. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Went to show with four specific coins in mind. I could have gotten one and maybe should have, but wasn't in love with coin vs price. Ended up acquiring a fifth option... One that's always there in back of my mind but never find one I like. Well, today there was one I liked. I almost walked because it was a "reach" but kept coming back.

For fun, I won't post the grade yet and will let you guys guess. Personally, I think this would be a tough one to grade by photos, but keep in mind it does have (subdued) cartwheel luster remaining and lots of color on the back. I was only able to capture some of the color on the reverse by tipping it at a bit of an angle. I used three bulbs for the front and only two for the back. Sometimes more light doesn't help on particular coins. This ones really interesting to look at and goes well with my others.

1820 large cent combined.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

Looks pretty!
    I'll guess MS 62 BN

4. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Very nice large date 1820. I like the toning, a bit of corrosion, and what looks like a die crack around the stars on the right side. AU-50 probably higher. I'll go with the high end. Thanks for sharing your new beauty.

5. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

63BN but would have to see in hand.

Vess1 likes this.
  6. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

We have a winner! Yes NGC gave it a 63BN. It’s a dark coin and hard to photograph. More light doesn’t seem to make it any brighter. I expected someone to complain that pics were too dark. It’s easier to see on a computer screen than the cell phone.

KSorbo likes this.
  7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Pretty coin. Really nice.

8. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

1820 N-13 R.1
    I like the die crack, it gives the coin character. It also makes attribution easier.

Vess1 likes this.
  9. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Thanks for the attribution. I'll add that in the comment under it on registry for my own sake.

Hoky77 likes this.
  10. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Au58

11. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

That is a fantastic piece!

Draft saved Draft deleted