eBay Top Rated Sellers: Higher fees and tighter requirements coming...to help you grow your business

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dough, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Dough

Dough My brain is open

"The Top Rated Plus final value fee discount will change from 20% to 10% on qualifying listings on May 1, 2017...

...eBay Top Rated Sellers have told us they want more tools and options to grow their business. The changes we’re making reflect our ongoing investment in helping them do just that ..."

• Thank you eBay. Increasing fees will surely help grow my business. If I could also find a way to increase supply costs and pay more taxes, I'd be all set.

Paul M., Endeavor, danmar2 and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Aren't marketing people just great? They will sell you a pile of dog poo and convince you they are giving you a mound of brown diamonds....

4. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Good gracious! That link reminds me of why I choose to sell on sites other than EBay. Not that I sell very often anyway.

But what are you talking about increasing fees. I see no reference to increased fees. Am I misreading it?

5. medoraman

The OP post refers to them lowering the top seller discount, the same as raising fees, (took me a second to process this too :)).

sakata likes this.
  6. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Oh no, not brown diamonds, "chocolate diamonds" what a great sales gimmick that is!

7. medoraman

Lol, yeah I love that one. The crummiest stones possible, ones that used to be by definition industrial diamonds, marketed as a "premium color". Pure marketing BS. Just wait until these idiots go to sell the stones.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Let's also not forget this gem below considering how easy it is to end up 'below standard'. This is all part of the ongoing effort by Ebay to snuff out the individual one off type sellers that made Ebay great to begin with. They apparently only want huge high volume sellers that don't offer anything really unique anymore apparently.

Below standard changes
    Final value fees for sellers who do not meet eBay’s minimum performance standards will increase by 4 percentage points on items sold on or after May 1, 2017. To make sure you’re meeting eBay’s minimum selling requirements, follow our selling best practices and check your seller dashboard regularly.

9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'm pretty sure you only get to be "below standard" by having complaints. I'm "above standard", and I've sold three things in the last year. And one of them, for reasons I can't fathom, shows up as "late shipment".

10. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

There is a saying for things like this but I think it is against the TOS here.

C-B-D likes this.
  11. buffnixx

buffnixx Active Member

Ebay robs you blind then says “thanks for contributing to our profits which will in the long run help you grow your business’. You cannot put lipstick on a pig. They just
    keep getting piggier n piggier. I do not expect much from them anymore.

12. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

If they don't watch what they're doing, within a few years it'll cost as much to sell a coin on Ebay as it does at Heritage.

13. Jaja78

Jaja78 Member

Come on now, without the hassle of spending those profits you'll have so much more time to devote to growing your business. It's a public service really, ebay should file for tax exempt status.;)

14. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Classic shooting of ones own foot.

15. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

So pretty much anyone unfortunate enough to deal with the likes of Leeroy, or our good buddy Detecto, will likely end up "below standard" due to no fault of their own?

Paul M. likes this.
  16. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

If they ever get within spitting distance Heritage will be getting a lot more business

17. Danno

Danno New Member

The elimination of negative feedback to buyers was the beginning of the end. I compare eBay to civil litigation lawyers. They're the winners every time. The only positive that has ever come out of sleazeBay is the ability of sellers to generate email lists of customers who may or may not be loyal as direct consumers.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    Paul M. likes this.
  18. buffnixx

buffnixx Active Member

Once you have developed a good relationship with a customer you can then start to deal with them on the side and avoid the eBay hassle. I have done that with a few buyers. Once they use paypal you have their email address.

Paul M. likes this.
  19. buffnixx

buffnixx Active Member

I was having a conversation with one of my clients who is also one who I have purchased coins from in the past. And in the middle of this back and fourth messaging there pops up a warning reminding me that it is verboten to conduct any business outside of flea! Like that was what was happening - NOT!
    But I then immediately went to paypall and looked up his address and sent him an email telling him in the future if he wants to contact me about anything to go outside of the flea and use my yahoo email address.

20. buffnixx

buffnixx Active Member

Once I did go outside of the flea to purchase a coin and they caught me somehow.
    All I got was a nasty warning but I am very careful now. Like I said, once someone buys one thing from you through pay pal you both have each others email addresses.

21. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I hate to be a devils advocate, but perhaps your abuse of the system here contributes to eBay raising the fees on all of us. I'm sure a lot of people do this, and eBay knows it. So if they are missing out on profits this way, they make up for it by taking away benefits from everyone. Not trying to attack. But just something to think about.

Draft saved Draft deleted