Ebay has more and more of these adds--Makes Etsy look good -one example of many

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 1953, Aug 5, 2023.

1. 1953

1953 Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. russell1256

russell1256 Well-Known Member

Does eBay charge for listing an item? These kind of listings really hurt our hobby. I wish there was a way tio stop this.

4. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

5. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Oh yeah? How about gems like this listing:
    Just give us 3 grand and we PINKY SWEAR to send it to you...

Screenshot 2023-08-05 at 8.57.53 AM.png

6. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Seller’s hoping Barnum was right.

Cal
    330px-Bridgeport_centennial_half_dollar_commemorative_obverse-cutout.png

longnine009 and mlov43 like this.
  7. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

If it wasn't auction style, they should have listed as a BIN. Also, it's posted everywhere in eBay for sellers and buyers not to take things off of the platform, so I'm surprised eBay hasn't caught that email address yet. eBay can be a good place to buy, but you really have to use some common sense. And if course the old dating, if it's too good to be true it probably is, always applies!

mlov43 likes this.
  8. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

They use multiple accounts. eBay seems powerless against them.

The only thing keeping eBay a legit platform is the buyer's own common sense...

meandyou4ever0 and Joshua Lemons like this.
  9. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

If people can't or won't take the time to learn about coins before buying then hey: Darwin's gotta eat too doesn't he?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2023
    Jeffjay likes this.
  10. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

Man, all those rare dateless buffaloes I passed on and spent in my youth! I could have been rich. At least the one in the link can, in fact, be dated (1913, Type 1, but I can't make out the mint mark in the blurry photo). It reminds me of a cartoon I saw once in a magazine of a kid with a lemonade stand and a sign "$100.00 a cup." A passer-by said, "You won't sell many at that price!" The kid answered, "True, but I only need to sell one."

serafino and Joshua Lemons like this.
  11. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

And I have been holding Buffalo nickels without their dates since my father gave them to me about 20 years ago.
    Are there really people that naive, that they would buy one?

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A no date Buffalo Nickel. If I could get that price for mine I’d sell all 500 plus of them in an instant. Cash only. Lol

13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

"but believed to have been made between year 1913 to 1938 by San Francisco Mint" REALLY

14. Sunflower_Coins

Sunflower_Coins Importer and Exporter

I just ignore those kinds of listings. Yeah, they're pretty dumb, but I don't think they are fooling anyone (I think you'd be hard-pressed to find someone cough up that money). Mainly an annoyance.

I think we have to suffer through them in a way because tighter restrictions on listings will always mean genuine ones will end up getting flagged. This already happens with eBay reporting system for counterfeits.

mlov43 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted