Doug's - Guess the grade

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GDJMSP, Apr 22, 2010.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

OK - this was inspired by Mark's recent thread. I'm going to post 4 coins. It will take 2 posts to get all the pics up so be patient before answering. All 4 coins are 1795 Flowing Hair dollars.

Your task is two fold. First, are the coins even gradeable. If not, why not ? And if they are gradeable, what is that grade and explain your reasoning for the grade.

Here's the first two -

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Here's the second two -

Attached Files:

4. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

none even came here GD :D

you would be better off making things clearer are there 2 more to come or no?

5. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

ok, I'll take a stab. I never mind going first. I must say that early dollars are completely out of my area of knowledge, I am grading them as more of an amateur than anything else, I am claiming no expertise in this arena.

The first coin looks like a cast counterfeit. There is pitting on the obverse of the coin. I don't know if the photo is done in greyscale, but if it isn't then the color of the metal is all wrong as well.

The second coin is VG-10. I could also see it going F-12 due to the fact that it was made on a screw press and not a steam press. Thereby making details weak. The "scratches" across Liberty's face are planchet adjustment marks, not scratches or remnants of harsh cleaning.

Coin #3 is also a very attractive coin. No real problems. Reverse is weakly struck, but the surfaces look to be at the very least re-toned, possibly artificially. I'd grade it closer to VF-30. this coin also appears that it could be counterfeit. I would not buy this coin.

The last coin appears to have VF details but was harshly cleaned. If this picture isn't greyscale, then I would be suspicious of counterfeit, but would need to more closely examine this coin.

6. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

Knowing nothing about these coins, including how to grade them I won't even hazard a guess as to not make myself seem foolish. That being said however, if they are all legit I would be happy to add one to my collection provided they had been TPG'd (maybe that third one)

7. mikenoodle

of any of those coins, I only think that coin #2 is a problem free coin.

8. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

ok to answer your post every coin is gradeable i dont buy this details tpg concept just penalize and move on

coin no 1 vf 20
    coin no 2 not gradeable because of the scratches
    coin no 3 not gradeable pitting
    coin no 4 vf 30

ok :D
    coin no 4

9. mikenoodle

BQ, if you don't take a stab, you won't appear foolish, but you won't learn anything either. Nobody looks at people poorly for trying and being wrong. Sometimes I have learned the most from going out on a limb and being not even close to right.

10. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

shows how much experience i have with this series :D

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I seem to remember Ruben (MrBrooklyn) did a "grade the flowing hair" awhile back and I gave the coin a very low grade. I felt that it was due to wear. Silly me, the coin graded rather high by the TPG'er. Seems that what I took for wear was not wear at all, but strike. Learned something.....

12. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I have to first preface this by saying that I HATE grading THESE coins by pictures only. These are tricky buggers.

#1 I'm going to say it has been graded (I think it's been cleaned but I'd bet it's still "Market Acceptable") VF20-25

#2 Nice original coin... again... VF20-25

#3 Should be bagged for environmental damage... but I'd bet again it's in a VF20-25 holder...

#4 Been cleaned but probably still looks market acceptable and again VF20-25

Yes that's right I'm grading each of those coins exactly the same at VF20-25's. All are slabbed.

But again I hate grading these things from pictures ;)

13. green18

#1 VF-20....looks cleaned to me. Looks like half the details of hair (obv) and feathers (rev) are there.

#2 F-12....Seems less detailed in regard to hair and feathers.

#3 F-12

#4 VF-20...harshly cleaned.

This from a novice....

14. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

In all honesty, you got me on 2 of them, but I got 2 of them wrong. I will explain later, if anyone really needs to know.

15. mikenoodle

how do you know the grades?

16. green18

Insider trading......:D

17. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

1 and 4 were definitely cleaned, probably won't slab. 3 was cleaned, but has started to retone. Its an important enough coin that they may let it through anyway, where it would land in a VF slab. 2 is the best coin there, EF, but with a weak reverse strike.

That said, I would prefer to have #1.

(I got lazy and assumed all were genuine too.)

18. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Oooooo- this will have to wait for me to get home. So far I have only eliminated the 4th coin as harshly cleaned. I think the first is market acceptable and have to look closer at the other two coins.

19. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I just have never played with these coins as they are way out of my league. But, ok here I go
    coin 1: I don't like the look of this coin; the mark near the second star after liberty and the pits down by the date really set me off. I don't beleive a TPG would grade it, but as a "details" grade I would give it a F-12.
    coin 2: VF-30
    Coin 3: I would go as high as XF-40 I like the look of this coin the most,
    coin 4: would go VF-20

20. fishfinder

fishfinder Junior Member

Truly a guess for me. Without knowing the die variety a guess anyway.
    #1 F12
    #2 F15- adjustment marks, weak strike
    #3 VF20
    #4 no grade- obverse cleaning not market acceptable

21. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Not my series at all but great coins

1st - Cleaned
    2nd - Genuine
    3rd - not real
    4th - Genuine

Draft saved Draft deleted