double headed Kennedy half dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ryleigh, Oct 13, 2002.

1. ryleigh

ryleigh New Member

can anyone please give my any information concerning the value of a 1964 double headed Kennedy half dollar?
    your help is appreciated
    Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Chrysta Wilson

Chrysta Wilson New Member

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this is almost certainly a trick coin, sold in magic or novelty shops. If you look close, there may be some kind of seam showing where the one coin was dug out and the other inserted. :(

4. ryleigh

ryleigh New Member

My Father has had this coin since 1972 and there is no seam on it and it is Silver. he had received it with his change in a grocery store. Is there any possibility that it is real? anyone?

5. Chrysta Wilson

Chrysta Wilson New Member

6. Jess

Jess Senior Member

:oops: If you spend it at the store .50 cents or sell it for silver value approximately $1.65 to dupe your friends priceless :twisted:

7. laz

laz New Member

Your odds are about 100 million to one against your coin being a genuine Mint error.Most are indeed novelty coins.Here's a quick test.Get another Half Dollar from the same period,if it's Silver,get another regular Half from that era.Drop the Silver Half onto a counter top several times,and listed to the 'ring' of the coin as it hits the counter.Now try your novelty coin,and listen closely.It should be a dead thud compared to the ring of Silver.This is because there's a separation between the two sides.
    If it passes this test,you'll need a very good magnifing glass to closely examine the edges and rims of your Half.I don't think you'll need to go this far though.Here's a Error World article about two headed/tailed coins
    http://groups.msn.com/ErrorWorld/ismytwotailedcoinreal.msnw
    Don't feel bad,it fools lots of people.I recieve a couple requests per week on this very subject. ~ Jim

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  8. Koinluver

Koinluver New Member

I came across one at the flea market the other day in a plastic tub of mixed half dollars. I knew I couldn't be that lucky to get a true error coin such as that, but it makes a welcome addition to my errors/novelty/conversation piece album.

9. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

Yeah I got fooled with one, thought I was paying off my mortgage...

You see here was the obverse:
    1976Front.JPG

And here was the reverse....

WrongReverse.JPG

Yes, it thuds.....heck you can flip it and hear the dull sound. Still it was one of the most exciting moments in my coin roll hunting...

10. junkcollector

junkcollector Junior Member

It's a magicians coin inside sometimes you will find a Mexican copper 20 centavos coin a fine jewelers tool will open it up I've found a half dozen or so of these roll searching

11. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

You can see the seam on the reverse....

12. Nancy Knox

Nancy Knox New Member

We have a 1973 Kennedy dollar coin that is double sided my dad got it from the bank when he cashed his check. Any information would be greatly appreciated

13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It's a magician's coin, they are sold in novelty stores.

14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Has there even ever been a legit US mint double headed error

15. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

not yet

The hammer dies and the anvil dies are different shapes (one square, one round) just to prevent this from happening, either by accident or on purpose

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  16. baseball21

That's what I was thinking just wasn't 100 percent sure. Out of everything to happen that seems like the one thing that shouldn't

17. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Reviving 15 year old pointless threads. Priceless.

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

@mikenoodle

Yes, and there have been legitimate double tailed errors as well. And they don't just occur in the US either.

Now a lot of the links are dead here -

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/great-rarities-2-heads-or-tails.14339/

- but some of them still work. And for those that don't the information I provided in text should allow those who wish to track down other published stories regarding the coins to do so.

But this link - http://www.uspatterns.com/182headincen.html - and this link -

http://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v04n30a11.html

- will quickly show you that the coins do exist. And they have been known to exist for a long time.

So ya see, sometimes there is a valid reason for reviving 15 year old threads ;)

19. baseball21

That actually was a very good revive. One of your links for Byers sight actually shows he has a two headed 2000 Jefferson for sale that was discovered last year. http://mikebyers.com/81049724.html

20. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

How the heck can that be a MS65?

21. ToppCatt

ToppCatt ToppCatt

It is probably a trick coin. Put it in a heavy glass or
    soup can and rattle it. It should separate into the two parts, main body and reverse. Part of a missing coin trick.

Draft saved Draft deleted