Do you buy AGE or ASE proofs each year?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Westtexasbound, Mar 3, 2015.

1. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

While I think they are very nice looking coins, they are bullion in my mind and I just can not bring myself to pay over spot for them... :(

jello likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

I haven't bought a 2015 yet but I always buy an uncirculated ASE every year. I love the design and the heft of them. I don't care for proof coins much, never have although I have some proof coins in my 20th Century US Coin set.

4. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Only set I really made money off was 1995 buying two was hard pocket til about late 1996 when collector's want Proof American Eagle with W mint mark . Then it paid for it's self.

5. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I used to buy the proof ASEs, but the quality of the 60-grit proof finish is such crap that I don't buy them.

6. onecenter

onecenter Member

I have purchased a proof American silver eagle from the US Mint each year since the first issue in 1986.

Those were "quaint" times in American coinage. All we had available was an annual proof set, an annual uncirculated set and a threesome of commemoratives for the centennial of the Statue of Liberty [Enlightening the World]. The entire issue of 500,000 gold half eagles for the Statue of Liberty sold out in the pre-issue discount time period, all purchased by mail order. There were no other ordering options. I was lucky, I bought my proof set of three immediately. Those who lost out were upset.

We now have up to 77 different coins a year with all kinds of finishes and mintmarks and packaging nearly 30 years later.

The 1986 proof American silver eagle was an incredible coin to be offered at the time. I enjoy adding this coin to my collection every year, except for that foolishness back in 2009. Always beautiful.

jello and green18 like this.
  7. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

@onecenter
    I hear ya I didn't know that there was 77 type of finishing.
    :)

8. onecenter

onecenter Member

I added up the number of coins I know about from 2014 and it totaled 77 coins. I cannot remember if that number included platinum eagles, since the coin issues in that particular metal are sporadic at times and I cannot afford them.

Regardless, the number of American coins issued today is a far cry from the very modest days when I started collecting in 1969, the last time a silver coin was minted for circulation.

9. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I buy 2 Proof ASE's each year. I like 'em. The only modern gold bullion I purchased was the reverse proof Buffalo.

jello likes this.
  10. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

One thing I do miss is opening up a Red or Green monster box before San Francisco ASE came out. I Do miss that part.
    :)

JPeace$ likes this.
  11. athrose

athrose Member

I purchased my first ASE coin from the U.S. Mint around 1999. I then decided to collect the entire series and went back to 1986. My collection now includes all versions of the coin produced to date (yes even the 1995 W). You may want to consider purchasing past years or just keep your current string running. Nothing is incorrect either way as it is your collection which means you get to decide what makes the most sense for you. If you're looking for something with a little more variety, check out the Royal Mint silver proof set which has varying designs and denominations. Both series are beautiful and within reach (for the most part) if you decide to continue your coin purchases.

I will continue to purchase both series as long as I can. Try to get my children to do the same so the grandkids can one day open up a box and be inspired.

jello likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted