DAHLONEGA GOLD CHERRYPICK

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Evan Saltis, Mar 3, 2024.

1. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Hello everyone. I have great news!

I was at my local pawn shop yesterday and I saw some gold coin jewelry pieces including a $20 Lib in a 14K bezel.

I took a look at the three jewelry gold coins they had, and the tag on this one said '1843'

I suppose it was 1843... but they missed something major...
    Quick Camera Image 2024-03-02 at 3.12.20 PM.png

I played it off legit, and took a photo of the price tag so I could go to the bank and get the cash for it.

IMG_6887.JPG

After tax, I paid $579 and sold it twelve hours later for $1350, a $715 profit after tax. I guess I could have maybe gotten more... it's an XF or AU details coin with a pin, and greysheet on a VF25 is like, $1800.

But, I got a good margin, and the buyer may be able to scrape a few dollars for himself too if he decided to sell it.

Full images below:

IMG_6892.JPG IMG_6889.JPG IMG_6893.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

That's my kind of find!

Sorry, I meant to say "Well I hope you were honest enough to go straight back to that pawn shop and shared your windfall with them, so they could in turn share it with the person who pawned the coin." :rolleyes:

I would've been tempted to hang onto it, but probably would've succumbed to the quick flip. (Actually, I might have held onto it long enough to talk to the dealer who bought my 1851-C love token with a hole/ring -- he apparently had a client who collected Charlotte love tokens; they might have been interested in Dahlonega as well...)

4. Evan Saltis

Well, even if I did do that, they likely wouldn't contact the original seller.

I'm just glad I got it, as now I can use the profit to start up my new LLC.

Things happen for a reason!

-jeffB likes this.
  5. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Would have been worth the wait. A friend is a friend. Way to look out for others

6. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Evan, sweet find. I've got to admit I learned something from you today. When it comes to coin jewelry I always pass right by it. I don't give it a second look. I have zero interest in coins made into jewelry.

It never dawned on me to check dates and MM's for some elusive rarity. I've just been turned off by the whole gaudy appearance of that form of display. I need to rethink that approach. Never considered that someone would run a bezel around a numismatic piece of history.

Thank you for opening my eyes to that end of the hobby. I learned something new today.

-jeffB, Evan Saltis and green18 like this.
  7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

It was probably someones' grand dad who didn't know any better, other than the fact that he loved a young lady long, long ago.

-jeffB and masterswimmer like this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Usually I said you did good but in this case I can’t. You did great!!

Cheech9712, -jeffB and masterswimmer like this.
  9. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

You hit the lottery!!!if it didn't have the pin on the back I would've keept it if it was me.

Mainebill likes this.
  10. Evan Saltis

I have made GREAT profit on engraved gold love tokens - but nothing was this great, considering the coin was pretty much unmolested and had full date, denomination, and mintmark. Also, because it was in no bezel, the edge was immaculate.

Here are the other gold jewelry pieces I sold - each and every time for a pretty major profit in terms of percentage.

IMG_6188.JPG IMG_6189.JPG IMG_6207.JPG IMG_6208.JPG

11. ddddd

ddddd Member

Well done!

Evan Saltis likes this.
  12. -jeffB

Oh, wow, the workmanship on that 1878 is beautiful.

Cheech9712 and Evan Saltis like this.
  13. -jeffB

I was being facetious. I've been known to profit-share with people I've cherry-picked, but pawn shops get no quarter from me.

14. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

You have done well following my advice.

Cheech9712 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted