Curse of Oak Island coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by wcoins, Feb 11, 2014.

1. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

For those who are not familiar with this show on History Channel, long story short, it's believed there's a treasure buried on that small island. (read here for more on the story http://www.history.com/shows/the-curse-of-oak-island/about)

Last episode they used state of the art metal detectors that indicated gold and silver. They got a diver into the swamp and....well I was expecting to see lots of gold and silver coins :D, the diver comes out with a coin, they clean it and it turns out to be a Spanish coin (see picture below).

Then the diver goes back in, detector signal shows gold but then weirdly can not detect anything anymore...darn I have been watching this for some episodes now, I wanna see those Spanish gold coins. None...

There'll be a second season maybe next year.

Anyone watched the show?

Here's the coin they found.

Untitled.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lucky Cuss

Lucky Cuss Cobrador de Plata

If it's supposed to be a Spanish copper 8 marivedis, then it's a pattern I'm not seeing in the book, for whatever that's worth.

swamp yankee likes this.
  4. vintagesix

vintagesix New Member

Funny you should mention this show & coin. I just watched several episodes this past weekend and enjoyed it. I'm pretty sure they could've condensed an entire season into a two hour show but eh none the less. They need to get some bigger equipment out there and just go for it!

swamp yankee, Alegandron and wcoins like this.
  5. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

i watched it also, when they pulled out that coin i was expecting to see shiny yellow! an when they showed the charts on the computer of all the red thats supposed to be non ferrus metal an they go back an start crawling around in the mud i was like "dudes, go rent a Kamatsu an dig out that swamp!" i just hope the one brother does not decide to end it!

6. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

That's what I thought also, get a good pump and filter and an giant excavator, not a diver!

I hope I'm wrong but I think that last episode might be just...TV...nice scenario and everything, but not real.

How on earth 3 metal detectors find non-ferrous metal one second and few minutes later it's all gone?

vintagesix likes this.
  7. vintagesix

vintagesix New Member

A clash of reality shows...bring in the guys from Gold Rush and all of their gear and let the Oak Island guys use their brains! They might find all kinds of stuff.

Mikemsg, Mainebill and wcoins like this.
  8. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

The Gold Rush guys might find diamonds or other gems, last time I watched that they had zero oz of gold :)

They said it was a Spanish "maravedi 8 cob", I don't know anything about these, is it really a pattern? What were the odds for them to find a Spanish pattern coin on a Canadian island?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
    swamp yankee likes this.
  9. carboni7e

carboni7e aka MonsterCoinz

I know nothing about world coins, but that coin looks a little too nice. It looks like a #8 billiard ball!

Kentucky and geekpryde like this.
  10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Apparently, you and ken454 haven't followed the entire storyline. I first heard this story back in the 80's. Six people have died trying to find the treasure because there are all sorts of pitfalls (traps).

Chris

11. drathbun

drathbun Well-Known Member

The hilarious part to me was the "diver" was working in what looked like all of about three feet of water...

12. BostonCoins

BostonCoins Well-Known Member

I watched all of these shows.... Was so addicted.

I've followed and read about Oak Island my entire life. I remember reading about it in some magazine as a small boy (Maybe Boy's Life or something like that), and I was hooked.

I have to admit... like you all... I kept thinking the same thing... Get bigger machines.. Clear that swamp. UGHHH...

As for the coin.. Just a correction.. the diver didn't find the coin. The kid with the metal detector did. He found it near the surface in some vegetation.

As for the coin, it is in fact a Spanish 8 Maravedis. It appears to be 1600 - 1652. Sadly, these coins were counter stamped over and over again, so even if any details were able to be seen, there may be TOO many characters to discern exactly the coin's date. From what I read about this coin, these did not contain silver.... They were copper or bronze... However, seems the mint of Spain under King Felipe IV (1603-1659) had some major issues.... The mint started... stopped.... started....

Anyhow... I hope they DO go back next year.... I want to know once and for all what is on that island!

swamp yankee and wcoins like this.
  13. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

i think they are just dragging it out for tv, the large detector went to a depth of 40 ft and when they were looking at results i coulda swore i heard them say that the readings started at 3-4 ft, but then they go back in with a handheld that goes to like 8 inches? really? its no wonder they are losing the signal, anything in the bottom of that muck is getting moved around everytime those guys go tromping around in there, an that "pro metal detector " guy should know things like that, an yea i've watched from the start, get an excavator with a 40ft reach, he'll find whats under that swamp...

14. BostonCoins

BostonCoins Well-Known Member

Oh.. AND... not to burst anyone's bubble... BUT.... When metal detecting.. There is something known as "Hot Rocks".... These suckers ping back sounds of precious metal. You dig the hole... and NADA....

I've found them time and time on all sorts of sites here in the Northeast. When the diver began to bring up rocks.... I thought "Uh oh.. Hot rocks".. sure enough.. once he started moving those rocks around.. the signals went away. Sure sign it was hot rocks.

15. mackwork

mackwork Caretaker of old coins & currency

I've watched all of the shows. Hopefully the series will be renewed for the next season. I've always been interested in the mystery of Oak Island and the Money Pit. I agree - that mud diver was underkill - they need some heavy duty equipment. I also thought that those rocks were hot rocks.

16. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

You are correct, the kid found that coin, it was after that when they brought in the diver.

Glad to see so many people watched that show, thought I was the only one.:eek:

17. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

yea im on east coast, lots of metals in the rocks here too, so was not surprised about that..

18. carboni7e

carboni7e aka MonsterCoinz

Wish I could take my metal detector to the east coast. Lost of history. And lots of coins in the ground :D

19. mackwork

mackwork Caretaker of old coins & currency

Here's my 8 marivedis

[​IMG]

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Looks like no Spanish coin I know of. I suspect if it really is something legitimate it is a weight intended to be used on a balance scale.

21. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Here's another pic of the coin in the show Untitledgg.jpg

swamp yankee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted