cud, die chip, die crack, or major die break ?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Cynde, Mar 9, 2023.

1. Cynde

Cynde New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pete Apple

Pete Apple Well-Known Member

The size and description of the feature are determinates for what it is called:

Die Chip, Break, Gouge, Dent, Cud: Comparing Terminology

Die Chip = up to 1 mm in length

Die Crack = Ordinary die cracks often appear as thin raised lines that can follow a somewhat erratic path.

Small Die Break = 1 mm to 3 mm in length

Large Die Break = more than 3 mm in length

Die Gouge = clear longitudinal striations within the body of the gouge (most feeder finger die gouges exhibit this). “Die Gouge” is also used with reference to features that do not have longitudinal striations.

Die Dent = die is damaged by a known or unknown object which leaves a recess in the die face. The die dent therefore appears raised on the coin.

Retained Interior Die Break: An island of metal surrounded by a die crack that sinks into the die face. Any void encompassing an area of 4² millimeters or more qualifies as an interior die break.

Cud: A die break that involves the rim and at least a little bit of the adjacent field or design. (A Rim Cud involves only the rim).

Sources: “Official Price Guide to Mint Errors” by Alan Herbert, edited by Ken Potter (Sixth Edition) and ERROR-REF.COM

4. Cynde

Cynde New Member

Wow, I have a lot to learn.

Cazador, Laurie B and Pete Apple like this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The issues on your Dime are all minor Die Chips.
    Nothing really major. Just a result of a worn die.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It has die chips so a nice find.

7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Good eye. Die chips like these are though, very common on modern dimes. Still a keeper if you like it. I save all mine.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

The learning curve in some areas can be the difference between climbing a small hill, and climbing the Matterhorn. LOL

Draft saved Draft deleted