Coins featuring dinosaurs and prehistoric life

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Hiddendragon, Jun 14, 2022.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I’ve never thought of coins with dinosaurs on them as they would all be foreign and I’m not a collector of those types. But I do have a large collection of 1 ounce copper rounds. You can find almost anything on a copper round and I have a number of different dinosaurs on them. All can be purchased for $3.00 each or less. No photos available but I’ve sure got a number of them.

Hiddendragon likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

And just think , if it wasn't for that damn asteroid Chicxulub 60 million years ago, any "humans" would be swinging from trees and have a furry body and long tail
    today :)

4. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I got this one from Cuba this week. It's interesting how thin this coin is. It's silver but doesn't have as much as you might think, given that it's around the size of a presidential dollar. 1993 cuba 5 pesos apatosaurus.jpg

panzerman, ddddd and Chris B like this.
  5. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Why do so many of these coins have Britain's Queen Elizabeth II on them?

Do the manufacturers consider her to be a "dinosaur"?

:)

6. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Well-Known Member

I've bought a few for my daughter, this was the latest one.
    upload_2023-2-12_14-12-22.png

panzerman, ddddd and Hiddendragon like this.
  7. Hiddendragon

Here's my latest additions from Australia. I feel like they're supposed to kind of form one picture if you put them in the right order. 2022 australia 1 dollar australovenator.jpg 2022 australia 1 dollar diamantinasaurus.jpg 2022 australia 1 dollar elaphrosaurine.jpg 2022 australia 1 dollar kunbarrasaurus.jpg

8. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Two modern dinosaurs lf - 2023-03-05T142606.627.jpg lf - 2023-03-05T142619.879.jpg .... aa1c012e9ab6217c9152f38e7101673f (2).jpg

ddddd, Chris B and Hiddendragon like this.
  9. Hiddendragon

panzerman likes this.
  10. Hiddendragon

1994 Guinea Bissau 10,000 pesos vulcanodon.
    1994 guinea bissau 10000 pesos.jpg

ZoidMeister, ddddd and Chris B like this.
  11. Hiddendragon

Here are some recent additions to this collection. 2020 congo 20 francs plesiosaurus.jpg 2021 congo 20 francs achaeopterix.jpg 2022 congo 20 francs gigantopithecus.jpg 2023 congo 20 francs titanoboa.jpg

12. Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81 Well-Known Member

This is a really cool idea, very nice coins!

Hiddendragon likes this.
  13. Hiddendragon

This stegosaurus, which is one of my favorite dinosaurs, came this week. 2023 congo 20 francs steg.jpg

ZoidMeister, ddddd, Chris B and 2 others like this.
  14. Hiddendragon

Here's two new additions to this collection. Great Britain 50 pence of stegosaurus and T-rex. These came in a special folder with info about the dinosaurs so I couldn't easily remove them to photograph. 2024 britain 50 pence steg.jpg 2024 britain 50 pence t rex.jpg

ZoidMeister and ddddd like this.
  15. Hiddendragon

Time to update my prehistoric life post with my latest. 2021 congo 20 francs quetzalcoatlus.jpg 2022 congo 20 francs liopleurodon.jpg 2022 ghana 5 cedis cave lion.jpg 2023 congo 20 francs dunkleosteus.jpg

ddddd, -jeffB, LakeEffect and 2 others like this.
  16. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Too bad none have been made on behalf of Niger. Very dinosaur-rich country with several species discovered there. My daughter spent 3 months in Fall 2022 on an expedition there with the University of Chicago. They excavated over 50, count 'em, 50 tons of fossils that are still awaiting transport back to Chicago.

Hiddendragon likes this.
  17. Hiddendragon

I just checked. There's one but it's gold so beyond my price range. Sounds like an amazing trip. Was she with Paul Sereno?

18. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Yes. He was her Ph.D. advisor in Chicago.

Hiddendragon likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted