Coin show

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Bill Henderson, Sep 14, 2002.

1. Bill Henderson

Bill Henderson New Member

I am on my way to my first coin show next week. Can anyone give me some tips on what to expect?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. flacoins

flacoins New Member

The best advice that I can give is only bring as much money with you that you are willing to part with!

4. Bill Henderson

Bill Henderson New Member

:lol: that's a good one. My wife would prefer that I bring no money at all.

Argenteus Fossil likes this.
  5. flacoins

flacoins New Member

I can relate to that!

Just ask her " How much will that pair of shoes you bought be worth in 10 years?"

Seriously though, do go with a plan of what you want and how much you are willing to spend, and don't be afraid to ask a dealer "What's the best you can do on this?" and accept his answer ...

Have Fun!

6. Byron L Reed

Byron L Reed Junior Member

Expect to be ignored. Dealers wont spend a whole lot of time trying to figure out what you are looking for. Go to the show knowing what type of coins you are going to ASK to see. If you want to see a variety of items, type up a short list and make copies to distribute as want lists.

7. craton

craton New Member

Expect to be overwhelmed. My best advice to you is to bring a list of coins that you are wanting to purchase. A good idea is also to take a look on ebay and see what those coins are going for. If you see something you like at the show but know you can do better some other time then pass it up. Another good idea is to ask the dealer if they can go lower on the price. Most will work with you but there are some who won't budge.
    Jason

8. Chrysta Wilson

Chrysta Wilson New Member

Being a veteran of very few coin shows, and both of them being HUGE, I can say this...try not to go nuts and buy everything in sight! If you aren't used to it, seeing so many coins all in one place can make you go into a feeding frenzy (at least it was like that for me!)

Not that I ever regretted any of my purchases, but I spent a little more money than I really should have.

The first show I went to, I was very timid and afraid to talk to the dealers too much. The second time I studied up a little on the series (or series of series) that I was interested in, and I think I came across as a little more knowledgeable. Dealers sure seemed more willing to take a little time with me that second time around...I guess I didn't seem like a "looker" but more like a "buyer!"

Whatever happens, enjoy. I love going to shows and only wish I got to go to more!

9. mbbiker

mbbiker New Member

If you see a coin that calls your name and you keep going back to the same table all day to look at that coin BUY IT trust me if you don't you'll regret not buying it for a long time

Jwt708 likes this.
  10. Neptune

Neptune & Amphitrite

I would LOVE to go to a coin show just for the experience. Have never been to one yet. I have been to gun shows, gem and mineral shows, etc. but haven't found a coin show in my area yet. Guess I am going to have to head to Dallas to find one. Does anyone know where I can find a list of coins shows - maybe one Dallas way? Thanks in advance for your help and time! :)

11. mbbiker

mbbiker New Member

try www.coinshows.com

12. Neptune

Neptune & Amphitrite

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

Kewl site! Thanks . . . guess I better start saving pennies or earn some spending money on eBay.

13. CarlWohlforth

CarlWohlforth Carl's Coins

I've been to some coins shows. But I've never been to Long Beach. I'm going this time! I will be there Saturday. I'll be wearing a baseball hat with lots of holey coins attached to it :) If you see somebody with a holey coin hat stop him and say hi. If it isn't me I'm sure he will be friendly too, anybody with a holey coin hat has to be cool.

Advice? Practice grading, look for new things (or not!). I almost got started with ancient coins the last show I went to. My budget is very thankful I gave up that idea before I started LOL.

14. mbbiker

mbbiker New Member

I would like to go to Long Beach but it's to long of a drive for me i live in WI.

Jwt708 and Paul_62 like this.
  15. Neptune

Neptune & Amphitrite

I hear that! It appears that some of these coin collectors/dealers travel around to the different shows. Boy wouldn't that be fun! I, however, will be happy to just to attend a few in my area within the next couple of years. One thing that I do agree upon is that viewing coins in person is much better than buying on the internet - sight unseen. Cameras and scanners can only do just so much.

Same is with quartz crystal that I sell a lot of - pics and scans just don't show the TRUE beauty/luster, etc, same as with coins. Everyone always says "scan doesn't do justice" or "pic doesn't show true beauty", etc. --- but it IS totally true. I have said that myself at times. 8)

16. mbbiker

mbbiker New Member

I like to go to shows so i can hold those "dream coins" the last show i was at had a 1793 flowing hair chain cent that was graded MS-61 by one of the Big 3

TaborTot22 likes this.
  17. copperhead

copperhead New Member

Be sure to make a trip around the room before buying ANYTHING. There has been many time a collector buys a coin and then later sees the same coin cheaper. Be sure to take a price guide and LOTS OF MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

18. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

edit: accidental post removed

TapaTalk on Windows Phone 8.1 is loaded with bugs....

:rage:

on the plus side, I finally got to use the "rage" emoticon...

19. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

Who you seeing from 12 years ago?

geekpryde likes this.
  20. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Well, that was a PM to @mainer020648, which TapaTalk decided to post in a completely random thread. yeah, isnt that funny? Nope really...

[​IMG]

treylxapi47 likes this.
  21. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

What is it with you and bugs, man. If you fix this one we will have to start calling you exterminatorpryde

green18 and geekpryde like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted