[CLOSED] World Coin Giveaway, Installment #1

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Joshua Lemons, Sep 7, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member

Greetings everyone! It's been a while since I've held a contest due to life being so busy! I'm selling a bit of the collection and ran across a few coins that I thought would make great giveaways here on CT.

As of this writing, there will be 5 total coins given away, one at a time. I'll leave each coin up for entries for about two weeks. Then I'll draw that winner and create a new post for the next coin.

Following the king of contests lead, @lordmarcovan here are the rules:

1. To enter simply state "entry post." Only one entry post per member, but you may select another member to receive the prize.

2. Tell the forum why you like the coin, post something coin related. A pet picture will always suffice if you don't have the first two things!

Entrants must have 25 coin related posts.

Contest is open to all CT members. Free shipping to the winner, domestic or international.

Please do leave a message once the coin has arrived!

I'll draw the winning entrant on the evening of Sept. 21st using a random number generator based on entry order.

The first coin is a lovely proof farthing from Great Britain. My pictures do not do the coin justice. It has a very glossy "wet" look to it. Featuring the Eurasian Wren, the farthing was last struck in 1956.
    Polish_20230907_005350836.jpg Polish_20230907_005417082.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Ooh, nice start to a fun contest! Good on you, @Joshua Lemons! That’s a pretty little birdie! It should definitely put a smile on someone’s face. :)

4. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Entry post. Here’s why I like this coin:

It’s a 1951, my birth year. It’s a proof, and has a beautiful rosy sheen to it when the light hits it as in the photo. But there’s a bigger, better reason to not just like this coin, but to love it.

To me the farthing is symbolic. It’s the smallest denomination in England, but this one coin was destined for greatness. Kinda like the small town kid that done good. So you start collecting with the farthing: a worn, stained, average 1/4 penny and, over time, end up with a majestic proof like this one, and eventually, shillings, crowns and guineas follow. A symbolic road to success in coin collecting and life.

For what are all of us collectors doing? We are aware. We are opportunistic. We share our experience and forge bonds that stretch into the future, and we are compassionate. All of these traits are durn good ideals to have…imo…Spark

5. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

6. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

"entry post."

I collect coins of the UK and Canada. My parents were married in 1951. If they weren't married, I wouldn't be here. My father served in the USAF and was stationed in England where they produced my older brother who was born in Cirencester in Jan 1953.
    They came home to the US with him.
    I showed up next, BORN IN THE USA!

There are lots of 1951 farthings, but only about 20,000 proof issues.

Thanks for the chance to win in your generous contest.

My mother loved the little wren on the back and had examples she brought home to show us kids, and told stories of living in England, hearing them over after over again while growing up. Mother, father and brother are no longer with us and have passed on.

An old 1760 Farthing with George II
    I have. It is from Ireland.
    1760IrelandGeorgeIIFarthingGallery.jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2023
    expat, lordmarcovan, beaver96 and 4 others like this.
  7. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

Entry post. I have very few proofs and this would be a nice addition .. the year that I started school.

8. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

GREAT Story! Love your coin. :)

lordmarcovan and TheNickelGuy like this.
  9. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

ENTRY POST--
    I would like this because I don't have any even close to this quality in a foreign coin. :)
    Here's my 2 Black Beauties:
    19551958Black Beautys.jpg

10. beaver96

beaver96 Supporter! Supporter

Entry post and give my chance to TheNickelGuy. Thanks for the contest and your generous prize.

11. JCKTJK

JCKTJK Well-Known Member

entry post: i have raw GB coins but none slabbed and definitely no proofs, also my Cats really likes the bird:happy:

12. lordmarcovan

Agreed. Entry post from me, and give my chance to @TheNickelGuy as well.

Random coin pic- my latest purchase.

[​IMG]

Nyatii, expat, Abramthegreat and 3 others like this.
  13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Just curious.......does your brother have dual citizenship?

TheNickelGuy and Joshua Lemons like this.
  14. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

Entry Post. I like shinney things! That is why I polish all my tokens.
    An English woody.

Dscn0022.jpg Dscn0023.jpg

15. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

No, he was only a US citizen. Might have had something to do with father in the service? I do know he was not a UK citizen while I was his brother. He was US. Now I hope he is a citizen of Heaven.

LATE EDIT: WOW! Just saw this. Thank you beaver96 and lordmarcovan for the two extra quacks at it. I don't think I have ever gotten a bonus entry in a contest before.
    2dux.jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2023
  16. green18

Dear me, he has passed on? My condolences.

I thought that if you were born in another country you automatically were a citizen of such.

TheNickelGuy likes this.
  17. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

Cirrhosis got em. He was a funny guy though with a good heart. He was my Wally, I guess I was The Beaver.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

green18 likes this.
  18. Mr. Numismatist

Mr. Numismatist Strawberry Token Enthusiast

Entry Post

Thanks for a giveaway, I don't own any foreign proofs and these guys would be glad to have a friend.:)
    IMG_3599.JPG IMG_3600.JPG

expat, Joshua Lemons and TheNickelGuy like this.
  19. green18

Indeed.......(sorry for the hijack Lord M).

20. lordmarcovan

Not my contest. ;)

21. green18

Must have been a senior moment. Sorry and apologies to Joshua.

lordmarcovan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.