Christmas Contest (Prizes)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by DJP7x0s, Dec 23, 2008.

1. DJP7x0s

DJP7x0s Sometimes Coins Arouse Me

US Coinage and History
    #1 When and Where, was the first US Mint erected, and when did they start producing coins?

#2 What denominations were minted during the first year of production?

#3 Who did George Washington appoint to begin work on establishing the first US Mint?

#4 Who was the first secretary of Treasury?

#5 What type of minting presses were used for the first production of US coinage and how were they powered?
    #6 List the denominations of buisness strike coins that the US mint produced as well as the denominations that are produced now?

#7 What denominations of Paper Currency has the US Mint Produced

#8 Where did George Washington get the silver that was used to strike the First US Coins, at the Mint?

#9 Which Coin(S) did Adolph A Weinman Design?

#10 What does the Motto, E Pluribus Unum mean?

#11 What was the first US Coin to bear the Motto In God We Trust?

#12 Name all of the US Mints, their years of operation, and the mint mark that represents each mint.

#13 How many Buildings were constructed for use as the Philidelphia Mint, and what years were they Built?

#14 What is a Rackateer Nickel, and how was it used to Fool Foreigners?

#15 The Mints Copper and Nickel supply was needed during the Second World War. Which substitute metals were used to produce coins, and which denomination(s) and dates were these substitute metals used?

#16 Name a one year type coin

#17 When was the first US Commemorative Coin minted and who was portrayed on this coin?

#18 Who was the first African American to appear on which US Coin?

Paper Currency

#1 Small Size Federal Reserve Notes of Series 1928, 1928 A and 1928B had Seals with different colored inks. What were they for each Series of the Series 1928?
    Name the Sec of the Treasury for each Series?

#2. The Series 1928 Numeral $50 Federal Reserve Star Notes were printed for each 12 issuing Fed Reserve Banks, which Bank had the least $50 star notes printed? What would be the going price for a note in VF condition? How many Star notes were printed?

#3. What is a "palindromes" note refered to today?
    What is it's significance?

World and Ancients
    #1 At which mints were coins struck in the name of the author of The Stratigikon?

#2 How many stycas are in a penny?

#3 The man-headed bull was a common symbol for which Sicilian town?

#4 What was the last city to mint provincial coinage in the Roman Empire?

#5 Which Roman emperors or usurpers issued octodrachms?

#6 In AD 273, what metal was the denarius struck in?

#7 What is the proper Latin plural of the word quadrans?

#8 Over which area did the satrap Spithridates rule?

#9 What metals was the quinarius struck in?

#10 The mint which operated in Ostia in the early fourth century AD was not created there. In which city did it originate?

#11 Who was the Roman Republican moneyer who struck a denarius showing Odysseus' dog?

#12 When were contorniates struck and where were they given out?

#13 Where was Colonia Lucia Annia Commodiana?

#14 What denominations of coins were issued by the Japanese puppet government in China during World War 2?

#15 What type of error is often found on the Philippine 1918-S 5 centavo?

Impossible bonus question:
    The Verulamium hoard helped to more precisely date which class of ancient coins?

Alright, I have decided to host a Christmas Contest. This will be a questions based contest, followed by a drawing from a hat. Everyone is welcome, the only requirement is that you registered to CoinTalk, prior to Dec. 20th 2008. Questions will be posted, at some point on Christmas Day, Dec 25th. Once I am done with all the family stuff, I will post the questions. Answers must be sent to me VIA PM, before the Ball Drops, 12 AM Jan 1st EST.

You must answer atleast 60% of the questions correctly, in order to have your name entered into the drawing. If you answer atleast 80% of the questions correctly, your name will be entered twice. 95% or more of the questions answered correctly, and your name is entered 3 times. And if anyone answers every question correctly, their name is entered 5 times. There is also a Bonus Question, good for one entry into the drawing, whether you answer any of the questions at all.

There a few questions with multiple part answers. Make sure to answer as many parts of the question as possible as these questions can still count for Half a Point. If the question has a 2 part answer and you answer one part correctly, you get half a point. But if the question has a 3 part answer, you have to answer atleast 2 parts correctly to be given that half point.

Well, you dont really have to worry about the rules and directions, I am the only one who has to pay attention to that part. All you have to do is answer as many questions as possible, and have fun. But dont forget, answers must be submitted to me Via PM, before the Ball Drops.

I will post pictures of the prizes that I am contributing, in a few minutes. Please wait until pictures of the prizes are posted before replying to this thread. Once the pics are posted, go nuts, I want everyone to help keep this post at the top, I want everyone to see this contest and Im hoping that everyone gets their name into the drawing.

P.S. I would like to thank RickieB for designing the Paper Currency questions, Ardatirion for designing the Word and Ancients questions, and Jon67 and Arizona Jack for their help with proof reading and Prize Donations.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DJP7x0s

Folder of Lincoln Cents 1909-1940

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. DJP7x0s

Folder of Canadian Small Cents 1920-1972

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Roll of Canadian cents that I do noty have a folder for 1973-2007

[​IMG]

5. DJP7x0s

Complete set of BU Lincoln Memorials 1959-Date. Missing only the 1960 Small Date and the 1970S Small Date, the rest are hear and they are all BU Full Red

[​IMG]

1941 Mercury Dime. Uncirculated and Slabbed by ANI

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. DJP7x0s

1982S and 1987S Proof Sets

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2006D Lincoln and Blank Planchet Set

[​IMG]

7. DJP7x0s

Two Rolls of No Bate Buffalo Nickels and a Bottle of Nic A Date, date restorer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Roll of Mixed Jefferson Nickels. Pre1964 and a few later date S mints to top the roll off

[​IMG]

8. DJP7x0s

Some Paper

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A Million Dollars WOW

[​IMG]

200 Nickel Sized Cardboard 2x2s

[​IMG]

9. DJP7x0s

Alright, thats it, those are the prizes that I am personally contributing. More prizes to come from some generous Donators, pics will be posted later. If anyone else feels like contributing to the prize, that would be more than welcome.

Now, if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask away. And please, keep this thread at the top. I dont want anyone to miss it.

Here is a Complete set of Lincolns, 1941-58 Donated By Jon67(Just a stock Photo of some Lincolns)
    The stock photo also doubles over as 5 rolls of mixed wheaties, also Donated by Jon67

[​IMG]

Here is a list of Prizes that Ardatirion is contributing. Sorry but we dont have pictures of these, but they will be part of the main prize pot.

Great Britain 1871 shilling
    dateless 3 cent silver
    China, Shen Zong cash 1086-1093 AD
    China, Qian Long cash 1736-1795 AD
    Roman Empire, Arcadius AE4 383-388 AD
    Roman Empire, Constantius Gallus AE3 351-354 AD
    Roman Empire, Septimius Severus AR denarius 196-197 AD
    Roman Empire, Constantine I AE follis 316 AD
    Ancient Greek, Pantikapion AE obol, 2nd century BC
    Plus some random foreign

Here is 5lbs of Mixed Wheaties Donated by Arizona Jack (Jack calls these, "Ugly as can be")

[​IMG]

Here is a 1962 Proof Franklin Half that was Donated by Arizona Jack

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is an 1863 Copper Nickel Indian Head Cent, donated by Arizona Jack

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A Star Note, Donated by Arizona Jack

[​IMG]

And this is a Beautiful example of a 1909 VDB Lincoln Cent, Donated by Arizona Jack
    Ok, I recieved a message from jack saying that he sent me the wrong picture of the VDB. Heres what he said "Doh....I sent you the wrong VDB pic as well, add a PCGS 1924-D in VF-25 to the list, I'll get you a pic tonight"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Very awsome, thanks for the contest! :D

11. sketcherpbr

sketcherpbr Enthusiast

::goes completely insane::

HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to be thinking about this and nothing else until Jan. 1st!!!!

Thanks a billion for the contest!

12. DJP7x0s

LOL, Thanks guys. But if these prizes look good, just remember, theres more to come.

13. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

You can count me in!! :D

Phoenix :cool:

14. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Wow, this is sweet. I'll definitely give this a go. Thanks for holding the contest!!!

15. DJP7x0s

Awesome, the more the merrier. Im hoping to get some good turnout here. I have a few things Im looking at and debating on adding to the prize list. The more people that participate, the better the odds are that I will add these things to the prize list.

16. Smaugy

Smaugy Peg Leg Surfing

Hrm, sounds like fun......count me in!

Thanks....

Smaugy

17. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

I'm in, thanks for the contest :)

stainless

18. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

holy cow!

I'm in for sure!

19. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Me too, It actually feels like Christmas this year, thanks!

20. Harryj

Harryj Supporter**

Looks like Santa's been very busy this year.

21. kidromeo

kidromeo I M LEGEND

Wow...Great prizes....thanks for the contest DJP7x0s.

Draft saved Draft deleted