Capped Bust Half (Grade Guess)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Bonedigger, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Capped Bust Half (Grade XF-40)

Here is a Capped Bust Half, 1830 which has been graded by ANACS. Take A guess. It might surpirse you.

Bone

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

Hio,
    VF-35 cleaned, but I wouldn't be surprised if it got an XF-45 designation because of the slight luster that is still apparent. before you ask How I can tell it's cleaned, whoever cleaned it didn't get the "DOIT" out of the "0" of "50" or the "3" in the date. The dirt around the stars is a giveaway too(DOIT=Brooklyn word for DIRT, I grew up there so I can get away with "DOIT")
    Have Fun,
    Bill

4. BigsWick

BigsWick Rat Powered

Cleaned? A case can be made for that. Strike is good. Eagle's feathers and shield look pretty nice. Tick marks on obverse, but Liberty's hair is decent. Hmmm.....

XF-40 cleaned? Maybe a Net grade? I've seen ones in similar condition go XF-45/AU-50.

5. Metalman

Metalman New Member

The coin has certianly been cleaned, AU-55 details XF-45 net .

Rick

6. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

I would go with the cleaning but I would bet that ANACS didn't put cleaning on the slab.

As it is well known that many of the Bust Halves and coins from that era are cleaned...but I have seen coins that were much more cleaned than this in NGC slabs.

As for the grade....XF---the high points have wear but that is almost it...the rest of the coin is nice.
    If ANACS did mark the cleaning then I bet the NET grade is F15.

Speedy

7. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

XF-40 Cleaned, XF Details. Man I love ANACS :D

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted