At a crossroads - Kazakhstan collection

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Feb 20, 2024.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

Decisions....decisions....as some may recall from my many threads, I have a few sets going of coins from Kazakhstan. One involves totem animals (silver proofs) and the other is coins made with tantalum (usually bimetallic-silver and tantalum mix).

For the last few years I have kept up with both of these sets but recently I have been left on the sidelines. The Kazakhstan Mint produced two larger tantalum coins late last year and the prices were much higher than usual. The first I splurged on (you can say overpaid) but the other I skipped (it was priced high from the mint and sold out, so the resellers had them at $700+, which was almost double issue price).

Then there is the case of the totem animals. This coin has an increased mintage but also an increased price. The person I had usually bought from increased his price as well. He wanted about $12 more than the last one. This isn't terrible but something made me hold off. The last few coins in this series have not held up their value like the first two. And silly me bought one extra of each of the last two to sell as a partial offset for buying the new ones (bad idea as they aren't selling and I'd rather not take a loss at the moment). Interestingly enough, another seller listed the new one for $17 less than my usual guy but I'm still debating. Do I go for it to keep up the set (I do still like the series) or do I wait and see if they fall further in price due to the market being oversaturated? I'm still thinking so for now you all get to read my musings in this thread. That is if you make it all the way through! :p

And since pictures make things better, here is the tantalum coin I splurged on late last year:

The design of the coin is based on the legend of the mythical tree of life (Baiterek), which holds the earth with its roots and supports the sky with its crown. The sacred bird Samruk, living at the top of the tree, and Aidahar, living at its roots, are eternal symbols of the change of summer and winter, day and night, the struggle between good and evil. The coin is made from silver with a tantalum insert. The total weight is 162.2 grams, the diameter is 50 mm, it is of proof quality, and the mintage is 500.
    [​IMG]

MIGuy and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

It's all about collecting with nary a whimsy to cost......

Noah Worke and ddddd like this.
  4. green18

It's all about collecting with nary a whimsy to cost......

5. green18

Where the devil did that hicup come from?

6. green18

Should I have mentioned Robert Johnson?

7. green18

And an most interesting photog.......

8. ddddd

ddddd Member

Technically that can be true but cost always creeps in. Plus it's harder when you remember (purchase) prices that could sometimes be half of the current ones in the not too distant past (4-7 years ago).

green18 likes this.
  9. green18

Look at my plight. I'm mostly 'modern' and buy directly from the (US) mint. I ain't ever gonna recoup my outlays but it's just my thing. I like the designs, I love the history, I hate the cost. But I still do it. :)

MIGuy and ddddd like this.
  10. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I think you have to beware of keeping up a collection just because it's something you've always done. This is like a version of the sunk costs fallacy. If you don't want to do the set any more for whatever reason, then stop. I've done this with a lot of my collecting interests. Once I made the mental shift it was surprisingly easy to stop.

ddddd likes this.
  11. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I don't have an answer for your dilemma, but I'm happy to report that I still have one of your Kazakhstan coins in my collection. In fact, it is the most modern coin I have in my "Eclectic Hundred". :)

I like owls to begin with, but a trippy looking Borg-like owl, well... I couldn't resist.

(Speaking of trippy looking, the coin you posted in the OP certainly fits that bill!)

[​IMG]

MIGuy, ddddd and dwhiz like this.
  12. ddddd

ddddd Member

I hear you and respect that! If one can afford it and enjoys the coins, this is the strategy to follow. :)

green18 likes this.
  13. ddddd

ddddd Member

That is a good point. Continuing to buy just to fill "holes" in a set does not make sense. I'm not at the point of just wanting to keep the set up to date; I still like the coins. So I'm debating if I just spend the money now or wait some time and see if prices come down. It does not look like the coin will be hard to acquire in the future, so that is why I'm leaning on waiting for now.

14. ddddd

ddddd Member

I was happy to send that owl your way and always enjoy seeing one of my former items as a part of your eclectic collection!

I still have one as well (the 500 Tenge Silver version). The recent one is a camel. A stock image from a seller is below:

[​IMG]

green18 and lordmarcovan like this.
  15. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Borat would approve on these coins. very nice!

ddddd likes this.
  16. green18

That is one very interesting piece........:)

ddddd likes this.
  17. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Gotta be careful with the tree of life. Eat the roots, and you turn into a pak protector. Larry Niven readers will know.

Cal

2024-02-29_21-17-20.png

18. ddddd

ddddd Member

Update: someone bought the coin that was on eBay while I was debating it-so that makes the choice to wait (and see if another shows up for less) easier.

lordmarcovan and MIGuy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted