Aspendos or Askalon that is the question for this shield / caduceus coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Montmercure, Jul 28, 2022.

1. Montmercure

Montmercure Active Member

Hello everyone, I am taking advantage of the summer to deepen some research that has not been successful before.

Last March I submitted to your sagacity and your knowledge the (poor) coin below:

475556234_5722b9bd-8414-4500-a569-135df52b6501a.jpg 475556234_89ad886c-fa90-439b-944a-4fbec286818ea.jpg

better is :
    Imhoof_KM_35.jpg
    .... but it's not mine :rolleyes:

You helped me to determine the possible origins, the most probable of which were:

A/ Aspendos, Pamphylia, 190-30 BC, for which I find a lot of references in catalogs (mainly SNG-Copenhagen, SNG Deutschland: (PfPs), BMC_Grece_Lycia Pamphylia Pisidia and Kleinasiatische Münzen – Imhoof)

B/ Askalon (Ascalon) (Yashin 51) but for this reference, I can't find much except perhaps another one: Rosenberger 1972, 39, n.41-42 (undated). But these are citations or referral without more descriptions or illustrations conducive to comparison.

Would any scholar among you ;) have the works of Yashin and/or Rosemberg and could send me the following extracts:

Chaim Yashin: - From Ascalon to Raphia: P 41, n°.49 to 53
    Rosenberger: The Rosenberger Israel Collection: containing Aelia Kapitolina, Akko, Anthedon, Antipatris and Ascalon: P 39 n°.41-42

Thanks in advance and see you soon

Carl Wilmont and Bing like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

Ascalon, no doubt. There is a little coin of Ascalon with the same reverse : https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/1/4874
    With the male head right, this coin is in Rosenberger, Sofaer and Baramki collections made in the Levant, so no doubt it is a coin from Ascalon and not Aspendos or any other city beginning with AC. Yours seems to be a rarer variant, or some ancient imitation.

Carl Wilmont and Montmercure like this.
  4. Montmercure

Thanks for your answer,
    I also have the conviction that the coin comes from Ascalon,
    But it is not so simple because until now sellers and catalogs reference this coin under "ASPENDOS", even if the sellers take the precaution to also indicate " Yashin 51 (Askalon)" in their comments (see cng below)

CNG eAuction 332. PAMPHYLIA Aspendos. 1st century BC. Æ (13mm 1.84 g).png
    it is for this reason that I would like to have access to the catalog extracts :
    Rosenberger: The Rosenberger Israel Collection: containing Aelia Kapitolina, Akko, Anthedon, Antipatris and Ascalon: P 39 n°.41-42

Because - after all - in the other hand, one could also consider that the coin referenced on RPCI 4874 - comes from Pamphilia and not from Ascalon :)

Regards
    François

Carl Wilmont, Curtis and Bing like this.
  5. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

The problem with the coins acquired through auctions or from dealers is that they have no provenance - I mean the place where they have been found is unknown, for metal detectorists and hoard finders never disclose this essential info (or lie). This kind of tiny bronze coins did not circulate very far from their mint place. The fact that specimens of RPC I 4874 are in the Rosenberger, the Sofaer and the Baramki collections could suggest they are from Ascalon, because these collections are mostly made of coins bought from dealers in the Levant (Lebanon, Syria, Israel, Palestinian territories, Jordan). But it remains hypothetical.

Carl Wilmont, Curtis and Montmercure like this.
  6. Montmercure

I agree with you about the very likely provenance of RPC I 4874.
    That's what makes me think that my coin also comes from Ascalon and not Aspendos.
    But to support my conviction, I would need ammunition :writer:

7. Factor

Factor Well-Known Member

RPC 4874 is certainly Ascalon, obverse in the same style is found in multiple Ascalon types. The caduceus by itself iwas very popular throughout ancient world, and it is no wonder it is also found in Aspendos coins. Aspendos is sharing first two letters with Ascalon, the fact that doesn't help with attribution, but the OP coin is definitely Aspendos and not Ascalon.

Curtis likes this.
  8. Montmercure

Hello,
    And all my apologies for the delay in my response (it was really too hot in France!! .... and I had some computer problems because of it)

As indicated to GinoLR, it is not enough to affirm it for it to be true, and to decide concretely you need documentary and factual elements.

So I opened this post to ask for catalog extracts :

But no one should have these documents which nevertheless seem essential to the determination of the origin of this piece.

One could also try to confirm the origin of Ascalon by the publication on cointalk of coins having similar elements and which are officially recognized by Ascalon ...... but no reader has published such views

..... so how to move forward ????

Regards
    François

Bing likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted