Are there Silver Quarters from 1965?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jeffusa, Mar 5, 2009.

1. jeffusa

jeffusa Member

I was under the impression today that I got a silver quarter because when I got my change back at the store the clang of the coins sounded different from normal. I checked my change and I had a 1965 Quarter in there.

I was thinking it was a silver quarter but when I checked coinflation it showed the 1965 quarter worth only 23 cents melt versus the 1964 quarter worth $2.37 melt. What do you think?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. the_man12

the_man12 Amateur Photographer

I'm sure there were a few error coins that were accidentally struck on 1964 blanks. The easiest way to tell is to check the edge to see if it is solid silver. If it is, that could be super valuable!

4. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Pics would help. But when you look at the side of the coin is it the one silver color, or a combination of silver and a copper color. I'm not very familiar with the Washington's but I believe some 65' silver Washington's were minted but they are very rare.

Santinidollar likes this.
  5. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

1965 quarters were the first that were clad. 1965 quarters in change are pretty common because they don't have a value greater than face.

But there have been a couple found that were silver, but those are extremely rare errors made on 1964 planchets. As far as I know, only a few of these are known to exist.

6. jeffusa

jeffusa Member

I checked the side...

It has a combination silver and copper color on the side. :cool: So I guess that kills that idea. I may try weighing the coins later to see if I can detect any other differences but I won't get my hopes up.

7. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I believe the 1964 dated quarters were struck into 1966-7 or so, they were using up blanks for them. So yes, there are some examples of 1965 silver, and even more scarcely some 1964 clads.

8. the_man12

the_man12 Amateur Photographer

It's not silver if it has two colors on the side.

9. walterallen

walterallen Coin Collector

You are correct, except that the government in its ultimate wisdom decided to produce and circulate silver quarters and dimes, (dated 1964), through 1967 in the hopes that the public would not hoard silver coinage, thinking that there were still plenity in circulation, and thus bide the government time to develop a functional and easily way to extract silver coinage from circulation. Needles to say their attempt failure miserably.

So the chances that some silver blanks got mixed with clad production were possible. I have heard of silver dimes being found with dates after 1964, but I have yet to heard of any quarters. That doesn't mean that they don't exist.

Allen

10. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

-

At the same time the BEP was still using wet paper, for the 1950-D and 1950-E notes, all the while printing the Series 1963 notes in dry paper.

11. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Even the weight test may prove nothing. So much depends on the material being exact and it just isn't all the time. And then too, there is wear on a coin which would change the weight.
    However, if you melted it down and it appeared all Silver, then you HAD a Silver one. ;)Hope you really don't.

12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Here is a thread on a different forum that has been waiting for months for a "1972 Silver quarter" to return from PCGS. It is one of those long threads that has no outcome yet, and it is causing some difficulties for the moderators there.
    http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29102

Jim

13. Multisingularit

Multisingularit Junior Member

I have this coin

Hey, I have this coin you are talking about. It is the same mass as a regular quarter, and split on the side... but it's definitely not normal. I don't know exactly what is different about it, but i pulled it out of a group of quarters because it felt weird... I've compared it to other quarters and it always feels strange. I still don't know what it is, but I am on a search to figure it out now. I am currently running a silver cleaning on it as well as 2 other quarters to test to see if they mixed silver with copper, but balanced the weight still? I feel this may be a possibility

14. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

It's a bad idea to do anything that might change it like cleaning or scratching.

I've seen several '65 quarters over the years that look a lot like silver but are apparently standard cu/ ni clads. Without more detail it's tough to have an opinion on your coin.

There were a lot of experimental planchets used to find the clad alloy but none are known struck with coin dies. Most are struck with the Martha Washington dies.

There are six or eight known 1965 quarters struck on silver planchets and a single 1964 coin struck in clad.

15. malak1

malak1 Junior Member

There were some wrong planchet errors in 1965. If you found one-Great. Sorry if it's two tone on the side.

16. Multisingularit

Multisingularit Junior Member

Well, right now I am trying to figure out exactly what is up with this coin. Looking at it, it appears normal (side is dual) except all the lines are bolder and darker and the font appears to be in some way different, though it's hard to tell exactly how.

The letters in Liberty push right up against the outer edge as well as the numbers in 1965. The 6 in 1965 is literally cut off by the rim of the coin. The other side has the same phenomenon occurring, whereas "Dollar" is running right along the edge with no space at all beneath it, unlike a regular quarter.

Aside from that it's really hard to say what other differences exist. It just doesn't feel right. When I first found it, I thought it was a silver quarter as it felt lighter, though when weighed it is of regular mass. When I give the coin to other people to compare, they have a similar response. I will try to get some pictures scanned in.

17. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I can't comment on the silver 1965 quarter but I'm curious about your values of silver and clad quarters from coinflation. I just checked coinflation and the silver quarter has a melt value of $3.03 and the clad quarter a value of $0.047. I must say that you've created an interesting thread. From this point forward, I will be checking the edge of my mid to late 60's quarters and dimes.

18. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

You'd be much better off looking at the faces than the edges. Everyone whose looked at the coin before you will remove it if it's silver so you have a far far better chance of finding the much rarer 1964 clad quarter than a 1965 silver. Very few people can be bothered collecting or even looking at the clads so rare clads circulate right alongside the distressingly common.

19. Niko

Niko Junior Member

silver Amerikan quarters are minted in .400 until 1971,

20. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

only half dollars. and it was until 1970.

AdamL likes this.
  21. Niko

Niko Junior Member

please refer to red book i am very good with Amerikan coins. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted